New Pool Build - Georgia - Help and opinions welcome

Jul 28, 2015
Georgia
Hello Everyone,
I’m new to the forum and have just begun this journey to have an in ground saltwater pool installed at my home in Georgia and would greatly appreciate your advice, recommendations, and opinions. I didn’t research any pool equipment manufacturer’s products and/or visit any of the pool forums for help until now because I wanted to see and hear what each PB had to say and recommend.

I did provide each PB a copy of the pool design to ensure that they each were bidding on the same pool, and I received quotes from $45k to $105k, and each one has recommended different equipment brands, pumps, pump sizes, filter types, etc.

So, I’m looking for the assistance of professionals on-line as well as anyone that will assist me in my journey so that I can go back to theses PBs with a detailed list of manufacturer brand, models, sizes, features, and quantities for the pump(s), filter(s), piping, lighting, decking, etc. of what I need.

The pool quoted was 22’ at its widest and 43’ at its longest with a shallow depth of 3-1/2’ to a depth of 8’ with an approximate surface area of 700 to 800 sq ft. Approximately 1125 sq ft of decking and approximately 115 ln ft of retaining wall less than <30” tall.

So here are all my questions:

1. Retaining Wall: Concrete with rebar or stacked blocking and why?
  2. Gunite or shotcrete and why?
  3. #3 or #4 rebar and why?
  4. On center spacing for rebar pool shell/basket?
  5. Stone base under rebar pool shell/basket: should there be stone placed and compacted in bottom of pool before gunite or shotcrete is installed, what size and how deep?
  6. Pool vertical wall thickness?
  7. Pool bottom thickness?
  8. Beam size: width & thickness?
  9. Pool decking thickness?
  10. Pool decking expansion joint: type, size, spacing?
  11. Pool decking finish: Kool Deck, Sundek, stamped concrete, etc and why?
  12. Pool interior finish: Pebble Sheen, Pebble Fina, Bread Crete, Hydrazzo (Don’t want feet torn up)?
  13. Main pool drain: Size, Quantity, Brand, Type, Features?
  14. Pool skimmers: Size, Quantity, Brand, Type, Features?
  15. Returns: Size, Quantity, Fitting Type, locations?
  16. Automatic pool fill system with overflow: Brand and size?
  17. All plumbing schedule 40 PVC: size 2” or 3”?
  18. Pool Light: Manufacturer, Manufacturer Model, Size, Quantity, LED, Low Voltage, Locations, and Features?
  19. Pool Pump: Manufacturer, Manufacturer Model, HP, Variable Speed, Features?
  20. Waterslide Pump: Manufacturer, Manufacturer Model, HP, Variable Speed, Features?
  21. Waterfall Pump: Manufacturer, Manufacturer Model, HP, Variable Speed, Features?
  22. Pool Filter: Manufacturer, Manufacturer Model/type, Features (want clean water for children)?
  23. Pool heater: Manufacturer, Manufacturer Model, size, NG, solor, etc?
  24. Pool Automation & SWGS: Manufacturer, Manufacturer Model, Controls, Features?
  25. Valves: Manufacturer, Manufacturer Model?
  26. Slide: Manufacturer, Manufacturer Model?
  27. Last any additional feature and/or functions that we should consider adding to make this pull as fun and enjoyable for our children as well as us?

I know I have asked a great deal of questions and have asked for a lot of detail, but I want to make the right choice for this pool and my family with this the first time. Thank you to anyone and every that helps me with your post.CCraven 1-Pool.jpgCCraven 2-Pool.jpg

Hi, Just my opinion but you are going to get all different answers from people here on most of those questions. Some will be more standardized but brands and models of everyones favorites are going to differ greatly. May I suggest instead that you clearly post individual proposals (doesn't have to include pricing) and let the people here look them over and they can tell you things to watch out for or things they don't like in a particular proposal. Otherwise there are hundreds of combinations of all of your options that may be just fine.

I agree with Sbpse above. Its a lot easier to pick apart actual proposals.

Are you set on certain elements, and if so which? Gunnite vs Vinyl vs Fiberglass? Lots of high tech automation ($$) or more low tech? Are you on sloping land and is that the reason for all the retaining walls? How do you want to chlorinate your pool as well as other chemicals? SWG or pumps, or manually?

Just a few questions for thought-

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.