Which chemical treatment do I do first, second, etc.?

Jul 24, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
Today's readings:
FC - .5
TC - 0
pH - 7.8
TA - 240
TH - 400
CYA - 30
Salt - 3500

according to the pool math calculator, I need to add 50 ounces of bleach (Clorox concentrated @ 8%), 12 ounces of muratic acid, & 45 ounces of CYA.

Also, do I leave the sand filter running for each addition? My pool gets 9 hours of direct sunlight & im thinking the SWG can't keep up with the loss. With that amount of sunlight, do I need to do the overnight test...? Water is clear, 91 degrees F.

CYA goes in a sock in the skimmer first, more here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals.

Add bleach second in front of a return with pump running, wait 15 minutes and add acid in front of the return.

Make sure to keep chlorine at target at all times for your CYA to keep the pool sanitized and algae free, Chlorine CYA Chart

OCLT is up to you. How long was the FC so low? It doesn't hurt to do one. Be sure to raise FC to 10 or more.

CYA goes in a sock in the skimmer first, more here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals.

Add bleach second in front of a return with pump running, wait 15 minutes and add acid in front of the return.

Make sure to keep chlorine at target at all times for your CYA to keep the pool sanitized and algae free, Chlorine CYA Chart

OCLT is up to you. How long was the FC so low? It doesn't hurt to do one. Be sure to raise FC to 10 or more.

thanks! My FC has hovered around .5 to 1 since the install two weeks ago. have shocked it twice and added muratic acid twice. Added CYA once.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness...I have thoroughly confused myself with FC, CC & TC readings. (This happened because I was using the HTC 6-way test kit as well as the Aquachek Chlorine Pro test strips, Intex test strips, & Insta-test strips in an attempt to compare readings to check for accuracy.) Was not paying close attention to which test result I recorded in my log. My Bad! Here are the chemicals tested for each of these...

HTC 6-way Test KitAquachek Test StripsInsta-Test StripsIntex Test Strips
TCTCFCFC
BromineFCBrominepH
pHpHpHTA
TATATACopper
THCYATH
CYA Salt

I've ordered the FAS-DPD test kit & should receive it August 4th. When I run out of the tests from the HTC kit, I will definitely purchase the TF-100 kit. Now, had I found this forum before I purchased all of these testing kits/strips, I would have known better what I was testing for, lol.

Note that the test strips testing for hardness are testing for TOTAL Hardness that includes both magnesium and calcium. What you want and that the TF-100 has is a test for CALCIUM Hardness since scaling comes from calcium carbonate, not magnesium carbonate. Since you are using well water that might be hard water, it would be good to know the CH level. Also, test strips are generally not very accurate, especially for some of the tests such as CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.