Is this tree pollen or algae? Or something else entirely?

Jul 17, 2015
Tallahassee
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

Here's my question: This weekend, I meticulously vacuumed my 25,000 gallon pool because there was a build-up of what looked like sand or silt in the bottom. It's greenish-tan in color, and very fine. It collects in batches, almost always in low spots in my vinyl lining (seems, low spots, etc.).

After admiring my handiwork, I went to work the next day, but when I returned home, the same stuff was back, almost in the same spots... so... thinking maybe I stirred some of it up and didn't get it all, I started the vacuum process all over again, this time being extremely careful not to stir the water. It took me the better part of an hour, but once again, the bottom of my pool looked fantastic.

Fast forward to the next day, and BAM. The same stuff is down there.

Yes, I vacuumed with the pump set to "filter" and not to "waste." Is that where I'm going wrong? Is this stuff just passing completely through my sand filter and blowing back into the pool? OR, is this stuff actually freshly fallen particulates from the towering trees I have in my backyard. Pics attached. Let me know what's going on if anyone has any ideas...

Here's a few photos. First one showing a small leaf on the surface for scale. Note the vinyl seem is filled with the silt and overflowing:

IMG_4978.jpg

Another angle:
IMG_4979.jpg

Opposite corner of pool, same stuff:
IMG_4980.jpg

And finally, a shot of the corner above with the trees to show proximity.
IMG_4982.jpg

Let me know if anyone needs more info.

Pool is 18x36 in ground pool with vinyl liner, sand filter. Recently shocked, etc.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.