Cloudy and slightly green water--saltwater pool 16 x 48. 6000 gal

Jul 29, 2015
Cherokee NC
I was reading your thread about another swg pool that had almost the same problew I am having and I read that you ad used him to put more chlorine in it to boost the chlorine level quickly and thoughthough you had said bleach I was wondering if our chlorine tablets would work ?? And also our test strips don't give us exact numbers for the levels in the pool is there another test kit you would recommend our swg is an interactive saltwater system with E.C.O model E.C.O 7111

Hi There,

Welcome to TFP!
I can help get you started on your way to a beautiful, clear and troublefree pool.

First, you will need a really good test kit that is reliable. The strips you are using as you know, arent very good and pool store testing is just about as bad as their advice.

We recommend the TF100 test kit available at TFTestkits.net This is what most of us use.
Also, the Taylor K2006C is available at of lot of on line sites and is a good kit.
Of the two, the TF100 is the best bang for the buck because it has larger amounts of testing regents, which you will need.

Once you have the test kit and can measure your water parameters, you will be ready to start the SLAM using only liquid chlorine or bleach.
The tabs add other things to the water in addition to chlorine and most of what they add is not good. In addition, there isnt enough chlorine in the tabs necessary to kill the algae.

To perform the slam, turn off your saltwater generator. SWGs are only sufficient to keep a pool clean, not clear up one with algae.

Here are the directions on how to slam a pool. Ive also added a couple more info links for reference that you will need to know.
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

After the SLAM is completed and you have cleared your pool of algae, if you will maintain the water per the TFP recommended levels, you will never get algae again.

I hope this helps,
enjoy TFP!
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Welcome to TFP!

We refer to test strips as "Guess Strips" for the very reason you mentioned - they lack the precision needed to properly manage a pool. You will need one of the Recommended Test Kits to properly manage your pool. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping. If you want to really do the right thing, I would order one of these test kits tonight. Do not rely on pool store testing - it is notably inaccurate and they will use those results to sell you all sorts of chemicals you do not need that will cost you way more than this test kit.

We recommend using plain unscented liquid bleach (w/o added thickeners) for chlorine because it provides chlorine w/o any side effects. Tablets (a.k.a., Trichlor tabs) add stabilizer along with chlorine. The chlorine / stabilizer relationship is a key concept of our methods (see [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]).

While you are waiting for your kit to arrive, here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
2. Chlorine CYA Chart
3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
4. Recommended Levels
5. Pool Math

Once your test kit arrives, you will need to do a SLAM Process to get rid of the green.

Oh, that reminds me. TFP has a handy little tool that will help you determine how much of something to add to the pool. If you get confused with it or have questions, just ask and someone will help you out.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Thank you for the help I'm going to look for the test kit right now and will let you know once I try these methods on my pool will the kit tell me how much bleach to put in the pool ? Thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.