Testing CYA

KING-OLE

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2014
Houston, TX
Moderator note - moved from here: Testing CYA - Just venting...

Interesting reading, and a bit shocked last post is over 6 years old. :eek:

I am having issues with this test. I want to make sure the dot is completely invisible, so I strain my eyes, and every time I believe I see the dot, I add more to the tube.

That said, I do believe the CYA has been too low, as my FC has falling quickly in this TX sun.

As far as I can tell, my CYA is now at about 60 ppm, perhaps upper 50's. Since I have an SWG, I've added another canister of liquid instant conditioner.

Hopefully tomorrow night, it will be above 70 ppm.

My cell has been running in shock mode for a week, but I reduced it to 80% yesterday. I added some liquid chlorine, and today my FC was at 9 ppm, which I know is higher than recommended, but I expect that to slowly come down.

Now to a question I'm sure has been asked before - is there no easier way to test the CYA?

Thanks,

Ole

If you're very unsure of your ability to read the CYA test, there actually is a bottle of testing fluid that is exactly 50ppm. You buy it from TFTestkits.net and it allows you to see how the dot looks when it disappears at 50. I personally think the bottle is too big, enough for a lot of folks to practice on, but hey, it didn't break my budget so it was nice to get that bit or reassurance that I'm seeing it right.

Just a thought :)

If you're very unsure of your ability to read the CYA test, there actually is a bottle of testing fluid that is exactly 50ppm. You buy it from TFTestkits.net and it allows you to see how the dot looks when it disappears at 50. I personally think the bottle is too big, enough for a lot of folks to practice on, but hey, it didn't break my budget so it was nice to get that bit or reassurance that I'm seeing it right.

Just a thought :)

Thanks for the info - I was not aware of that. I will order such a bottle right away.

How long will the content of the bottle stay at 50 ppm?

Thanks,

Ole

I bought the 50ppm solution as well to see what it's really supposed to be at 50.

What I noticed is that you still see some darkness in the dot, but you cannot see the complete circle of the dot.

so basically when the dot loses it's round shape clearly but you still see some of it, you are there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.