OK, got my test kit and I have results now!

Newerabs

Jul 22, 2015
Eaton Rapids
Bought the Taylor k-2006 and it arrived yesterday so I finally had some time this evening and did testing.

Here's the results

FC- 0
PH- 7.4
TA- 220
CH- 250
CYA- 0

I've read Pool School so I know that in order to get my FC up I need to have CYA in order to get a target #. Problem is... no CYA. So do I need to get my CYA up BEFORE I SLAM? What's the fastest way to do that? Liquid conditioner?

I have a AG pool. I'm unsure of what brand it is as it was given to me last summer by a friend (same with the sand filter and pump... although I know the pump is Hayward, probably so is the sand filter but the stickers were taken off).
The pool is 18x48 round. Vinyl... I think.

Also, the gauge on my sand filter is broken. It is always pegged at the top even when turned off. Anyway to fix that? Is that a replaceable part?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Hi,
good deal on getting that test kit. You'll find it to be worth wayyyy more than what you paid for it.

Use granular CYA (a.k.a stabilizer and conditioner) available at Pool Stores, Walmart and some big box stores. Add enough to the pool to get you up to 30ppm. The liquid stuff costs wayyy more money and you need more of it to get to your target level, so there really is no added value to using it.

After you've added enough CYA per pool math, to get you to 30ppm, just consider it to be that.

Then go ahead and start the slam if thats what you need to do.
hope this helps,

Bought the Taylor k-2006 and it arrived yesterday so I finally had some time this evening and did testing.

Here's the results

FC- 0
PH- 7.4
TA- 220
CH- 250
CYA- 0

I've read Pool School so I know that in order to get my FC up I need to have CYA in order to get a target #. Problem is... no CYA. So do I need to get my CYA up BEFORE I SLAM? What's the fastest way to do that? Liquid conditioner?

I have a AG pool. I'm unsure of what brand it is as it was given to me last summer by a friend (same with the sand filter and pump... although I know the pump is Hayward, probably so is the sand filter but the stickers were taken off).
The pool is 18x48 round. Vinyl... I think.

Also, the gauge on my sand filter is broken. It is always pegged at the top even when turned off. Anyway to fix that? Is that a replaceable part?

Thanks everyone for your help!

For the CYA use granular stabilizer in a nylon stocking and target 30. Hang it in front of a return and squeeze it often. It will dissipate in a few hours. At that point even though it takes a week for it to full dissolve and register on the drop test assume you have 30 cya and target 12 FC for slam.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the gauge most use standard thread sizes so just order a replacement. Tftestkits sells a nice oil filled.

Thanks so much for the replies.

I actually have a couple gallons of liquid pool conditioner. My neighbor got rid of his pool this year and gave me a bunch of chemicals he didn't need.

Just to make sure I have this correct. I'm going to add 105 oz of liquid Pool Conditioner to my pool.

When should I do this? At night? Should I run the filter while adding? How long should I run the filter for? When will I see results if it's liquid?

Also, how were my other levels? Is my TA ok? I know my pH needs to be raised up a little so should I do that while I'm also raising up the CYA level?

Thanks!

I wouldn't raise your pH...with high TA it's going to raise itself and you'll need to add muratic acid to drop it back down.

As for the conditioner read the label. Make sure it's at least 95% cyanuric acid and not a bunch of other unneeded additives. If it's good you can add it anytime. And yes keep pump and filter running.

No way I can tell you if 105 ozs is the right amount to add or not. The amount needed to get to 30 depends on how many gallons of water you have.

If you will fill out your signature (like the yellow banner asks when you sign on), it will help me and others help you when you have questions.

Add the liquid stabilizer whenever you want. You want the pump to run for at least 30 minutes after adding it.

If you are going to SLAM, do not raise the pH
Here are SLAM instructions. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Instructions for filling out your signature
Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Thanks so much for the replies.

I actually have a couple gallons of liquid pool conditioner. My neighbor got rid of his pool this year and gave me a bunch of chemicals he didn't need.

Just to make sure I have this correct. I'm going to add 105 oz of liquid Pool Conditioner to my pool.

When should I do this? At night? Should I run the filter while adding? How long should I run the filter for? When will I see results if it's liquid?

Also, how were my other levels? Is my TA ok? I know my pH needs to be raised up a little so should I do that while I'm also raising up the CYA level?

Thanks!

I am sorry about the signature. I just update my profile. Thanks for the reminder!

I will starting the slam processes tomorrow. One question though, if I have a solar cover can I run the filter at night with the cover on? I've never done that before but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.