LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2015
Fairview, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Been adding 121oz jugs daily for several days..my FC was off the charts there (urine orange in the yellow test kit) but I haven't added any in the last 2 days and I vacuumed to waste and we had rain and the kids got in the pool with the elevated chlorine even though I said not to....

*ANYWAY*

So here's the basic numbers:

FC: 8
CYA: 50
PH: 7.2
Alkalinity: 80 (added a wee too much baking soda bringing it up from 50)
Pool holds 14,800 gallons

According to pool math (if i read that correctly) I need to add 2.2 121oz bottles of 8.25% bleach to get to 20. Does that sound right?

Essentially after that I would do the chlorine test at night and first thing in the morning until the delta of those tests is < .5 ppm correct?

At that point, the SLAM is complete, the algae is dead and the chlorine is stabilized?

I am trying to keep the debris out of the pool and bought a box of DE to help my sand filter (not used it yet).

I know this is an oversimplification but this is essentially what I'm shooting for right?

After the chlorine levels have stabilized for 1 or 2 nights its ok to allow it to 'drift' back to normal levels correct?

you are correct "ish" :)

you want to test at least 2 to 4 times a day untill you meet the following, less than 1 fc loss overnight, under <.5 cc and water is clear/crystal

after every test input into poolmath and add to stay over 20fc at all times

I am not sure what you mean by "Alkalinity: 8 (added a wee too much baking soda bringing it up from 5)"
basically this is PH, so you are at 7.2, were you at 5, added baking soda to 8 and dropped back to 7.2?

I need to write my test results down. It was the cylinder you fill to 25ml and add drops one at a time until it turns from green to red that I'm talking about was turning red at 5 drops. I kept adding baking soda and it wouldn't change so I finally added about 4lbs at once and now it turns red at 8 drops even though the color for the pH test says I'm at 7.2

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm only guessing as I don't have my kit instructions handy but each drop is 10 TA so your TA is 80 which is great. And pH of 7.2 is perfect for SLAM. So add bleach to reach 20 and test every 2 to 4 hours and keep FC at 20. Once water is clear and CC are. 5 or less bring FC to 20 after dark then test again in morning and hope for 19 or better.

During your Slam just focus on keeping the chlorine at that level (20) all the time, and monitor your FC and CC levels 2-4 or more times daily. (some people start out doing hourly checks, and adjust their chlorine levels back up to Slam every hour. Regardless of how you choose to do it making sure your SLAM level is always present is the most important thing in this stage of the process).

Also there is no need to test pH once Slam begins because it will Not be accurate, it will show high.

The other test levels, unless you add a lot of water, or lose a lot of water etc. will not be being routinely tested like the FC and CC levels are. Also don't add Baking soda, Borax, or anything, other than chlorine right now during the Slam. Just focus on keeping chlorine up to slam level of 20, and then once you pass OCLT then you will let your chlorine level start dropping, and begin focusing on balancing out all the other levels too at that time.

Also you might want to make the kids stay out of the pool during the SLAM, For one algae can be very slippery and dangerous, one of them could fall and be unable to stand back up because of the slippery algae. Although it is safe to swim while slamming IF- you can see the bottom of the pool, the pH is 7.2-7.8, and the FC level is below the shock level on the CL/CYA chart, but high FC levels can cause a person's eyes/skin to burn, be red and irritated, and can bleach out, and eat up any clothing worn in the pool. So it would be better/safer for them to wait until the FC are lower and the algae is gone. Good luck on your slam. I hope it goes quickly. Have a nice night.

Did you order thru TFTestkits.net ? I didn't know they stocked the K-2005? I'm sure they'll correct it if it was the wrong kit.

The only two places you can get the TF-100 are from PoolSupplyWorld.com or TFTestkits.net

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.