Converting salt to chlorine ; cloudy blue

You are loosing FC to two sources, UV from the sun because of no CYA and to whatever is growing in the water.

You need a FAS-DPD test kit as you will need to SLAM the pool and your current kit will not test FC high enough. The most cost effective is the TF100 at TFTestkits.net and pick up the XL option as you will need quite a bit of reagent for the SLAM.

Stop by Walmart and pick up a bottle of Stabilizer/CYA. Use Pool Math to calculate how much you will need to get your CYA to 30. Add that amount of CYA to a sock and either hang it in front of a return or place it in the skimmer. Do not just dump it in the skimmer.

Please add your pool details to your signature so we know what pool we are dealing with.

If your CYA is 0, your chemistry is *not* good. You're using up any chlorine you put in their either from sun burn off, or algae growing. Which would also explain the cloudy water. Algae is going to go full-bloom soon if you don't get some CYA (Stabilizer) and chlorine in there.

What are you using to chlorinate your pool? What are you using to test your water? Have you read Pool School at all?

Ok then, how come no CYA?
If by any odd chance you previously used stabilized pucks in some sort of floater, and had some laying about, you could use them for *a while* to get your CYA up. Or you can do it faster by hitting up the local Wallyworld or Lowes and picking up a 4# canister of "Pool Stabilizer" or it might say conditioner. Just check the ingredients for it to say cyanuric acid. That will help hold your chlorine in the water longer.

Now lets discuss your testing kit...TF100 kit comes from TFTestkits.net or the Taylor 2006 kit from Amazon or TFTestkits.net, and on rare occasion from a pool store. Those two kits alone are the ones we recommend most. They'll test everything, properly, by using drop tests. MUCH more accurate than strips or pool store tests.

Without any CYA your pool will not hold any chlorine level. When chlorine level goes too low algae blooms. You need to go to Pool School (the button at the upper right of this page) and can learn how this works.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When i raise my cya will it clear my water up?

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
No, when you raise your CYA you will not loose all of your chlorine to the Sun within an hour or two. Without CYA that is what happens, the chlorine is burned off quickly and with no chlorine in the water bad things have the opportunity to grow.

You need:

CYA to 30

FAS-DPD test kit

SLAM your pool to kill the stuff growing and clouding the water.

I put two of those chlorine tabs in my skimmer last night and my chlorine was very high. So i am guessing since its going to be another sunny one today the chlorine will be gone shortly. The pool is still a cloudy blue white cant see bottom. Its clean as far as i know other than the cloudy and the lack of cya.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

To me (and everyone else here), your pool is not safe to swim in if you cannot see the bottom. You are 7 posts in and seem to be ignoring (or not responding to) the advice of at least 3 experienced pool people who are suggesting stabilizer / chlorine / a good test kit (not strips) / pool school.

This is something you can remedy pretty fast if you get in front of it.

The pool is still a cloudy blue white cant see bottom. Its clean as far as i know other than the cloudy and the lack of cya.

Welcome to the forum.

Your main problem is knowledge. I recognize this because I started with none. We know you have a knowledge problem based on your statements above. The members above have given you a Band-Aid to put on the immediate problem. You need to learn how to stop cutting yourself. To do so, go to pool school at the top of this page and start reading. Once you read, understand, and apply the principles here you will never again say my chemistry is good but I have no FC or CYA and can't figure out why the water is cloudy.

I got home last night after being gone for two weeks during which time nobody even looked at my pool. While not recommended, my SWG pool was still crystal clear (can easily make out the head pattern on the small drain cover screws in the deep end) and the chemistry was great although it did need a little acid. I've only been at this less than a year and have never owned a pool until now. This will be easy for you as well once you have the knowledge freely given here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.