Let's talk decking

Mar 16, 2015
rowlett, tx
We are contracted for spray deck but was shown this by my builder and man it's pretty
b3fc1c1f825aa26b2d81415b01c9a93d.jpg

I went and saw it today and just as pretty in person BUT it was scorching hot on my feet. Like don't stand on it or it will give you 2nd degree burns.

My PB said that spray deck is just as hot now that there is no asbestos in it. Is that true? I don't want a deck that is beautiful but you can't walk on it.

Need advice

That looks like a stamped pattern. Is it stamped concrete or a vinyl over lay pattern? When you say spray deck, what are you referring to? Do you mean a textured vinyl in a Spanish lace (knock down) finish? If both are vinyl overlays except for color they will both be the same as far as heat.

That pic looks like stamped, which is what I wanted to put on my deck...until my PB told me not to waste my time, unless I like really hot feet mixed with a slippery surface. She said she gets mostly negative feedback from the ones they've installed.

Yes that is stamped concrete. Kool deck will have a lower tem than concrete.
http://mortex.com/products/kd.html

In my experience in the north tx area the above products run 8-9 per sq ft. I decided to go with travertine. It also is much cooler than concrete, in my opinion looks great and is not too much more expensive. I am spending about 10 per ft for travertine installed.

I have rock salt finished concrete with a "sand" color hardener. It is zero maintenance after three years and cooler than any other surface around my pool like coping paths rocks, boulders, etc. Still warm, but jump off it hot. We jump off coping to the pool deck. And we didn't pay any extra, it was one of the "regular" finishes.

Pics in my build thread in my sig.

In my experience in the north tx area the above products run 8-9 per sq ft. I decided to go with travertine. It also is much cooler than concrete, in my opinion looks great and is not too much more expensive. I am spending about 10 per ft for travertine installed.

This!
There is not much difference in pricing between Kool Deck and Travertine. We are putting in travertine and it is amazingly cool(er) in the AZ heat (110+). Can walk barefoot for 20-30 feet with no issues.. We also have 'Phoenix' (Belgard brand) pavers on the side of the house where I can't put my foot on.. it'll probably melt my sole if I walk even 5 ft!

This actually looks similar to what I have on my in closed porch, and if it is, it is beautiful But, I agree with ted above it will be very slippery. I had a nice wipeout on mine back in March because of the humidity causing it to be only slightly wet, but when it's being mopped, etc. it's like being on an ice skating rink. I'd certainly want to wet a piece of it down to see before putting it around a pool, and spending all that money on something that if it's like what I have, it is an accident waiting to happen.

I was told you can't do Kool deck anymore due to asbestos

That pic looks like stamped, which is what I wanted to put on my deck...until my PB told me not to waste my time, unless I like really hot feet mixed with a slippery surface. She said she gets mostly negative feedback from the ones they've installed.

Didn't even think about the slipperiness of it

Ok mind made up. Going with spray deck. Not as pretty but think it will work for us

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We really wanted pavers or travertine; pavers were too hot and when we visited someone with travertine around their pool we asked if we could splash some water on the decking and for the type of usage we have around our pool it was too slippery for us. So we ended-up with spray deck. Third choice but it's growing on us, we can walk around barefoot on it in 100+ degree weather, don't have to locate our flip flops when we get out, don't have to worry about a kid or drunk (probably more of the later) slipping and falling so easily etc.

So for us it's working, we're no shoes people, it kind of looks like sand so we make believe we're in a Corona commercial.

If you do go spray deck make sure they leave you with at least a gallon or two extra, you're going to need it for touch-ups. Be careful putting any mats on it like a grill mat until it's fully cured. We're about 6 weeks in in and I think we're just now getting cured. Also know depending how much of a deck sheriff you're willing to be you're going to have to redo it in 4 - 5 years and I think that's if you're on top of it. Pavers would have been so much easier and cheaper in the long run . . .

We really wanted pavers or travertine; pavers were too hot and when we visited someone with travertine around their pool we asked if we could splash some water on the decking and for the type of usage we have around our pool it was too slippery for us. So we ended-up with spray deck. Third choice but it's growing on us, we can walk around barefoot on it in 100+ degree weather, don't have to locate our flip flops when we get out, don't have to worry about a kid or drunk (probably more of the later) slipping and falling so easily etc.

So for us it's working, we're no shoes people, it kind of looks like sand so we make believe we're in a Corona commercial.

If you do go spray deck make sure they leave you with at least a gallon or two extra, you're going to need it for touch-ups. Be careful putting any mats on it like a grill mat until it's fully cured. We're about 6 weeks in in and I think we're just now getting cured. Also know depending how much of a deck sheriff you're willing to be you're going to have to redo it in 4 - 5 years and I think that's if you're on top of it. Pavers would have been so much easier and cheaper in the long run . . .

Do you mind sharing a picture and telling me what color it is. Thanks so much!

We have stamped concrete up here in the Midwest and love it. Not as hot up here as in Texas so it is no problem. When you seal it you have to make sure they add "Shark Grip" additive to the sealant which will make it less slippery.

That isn't one of our options. Do companies change the name like mattress companies do? Lol
I'm sure your company calls it something else. I would recommend paying the extra money and getting the version with the higher Total Solar Reflectance; standard Baja Sand was 46.2 TSR and the version we got (Reflecto Seal) has a TSR of 61.8 or in other words it's roughly 15% more reflect-ant (is that a word) or in other words cooler than standard. They claim the Reflecto Seal version was developed by the army for vehicles in the desert or something like that, I bought into the bull#$&% so who knows, seems awfully cool to us.

Again spray deck wasn't our first choice but after walking on our driveway pavers in the sun (HOT HOT HOT) and not wanting drunks suing me for slipping and smacking their head this is what we went with. Imagine yourself on the tanning ledge sitting on an Adirondack chair with a cooler of Coronas next to you, do you think you're at the beach LOL.

Good luck, shoot any additional questions my way. Oh, one last thing, the lighter colors are a PITA to keep clean and shows every &$*# spot and bird dropping or squished baby lizard that your grandson accidentally stepped on . . . or at least that what he claims . . .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.