New Pool (Bid stage) - Orlando, FL

IzzyB

Jul 29, 2015
Orlando, FL
New to this forum. Had a pool in our old house and we are looking to build an in ground pool at our new house that we moved into a year ago. Found this forum when I was looking for brand differences since one vendor uses Jandy and another uses Heyward.

Here is the pool we are looking for:

Approx 400 sq feet (Longest length 32 feet and longest width 16 feet)
7' round spa (6 jets) that has stone around the edge (raised 12") and flagstone on top
Electric heat (We do not have gas as an option based on how close we are to our neighbors and the positions of the windows)
Salt Water System (Trying to determine if we need the one that tests the water or not - so advice on this would be good - one vendor says it is a waste and the other says it is awesome)
Automation System via smart phone
LED Multi-colored lights
In floor cleaning system (17+ heads - We had this before and enjoyed the no hose, hoping it is better now that it is less of a new technology - so any experience here would be good)
Variable Speed pump
Pebble interior (anyone have experience with this? Our last was quartz, but everything I read says this is better)
Brick pavers flagstone style with brick coping and brick to the edge of patio
No screen enclosure (this is new to us as our last had this, but we don't want to destroy the view we have from our backyard)

We have had 4 vendors in. One we have crossed off the list because they were way more expensive and the guy was an idiot. He was looking at the neighbors pool under construction and couldn't figure out it was a salt system or that it was automated. Even we could figure that out. One vendor we are waiting on the price and drawings. The other two vendors seem to be complete opposites of each other. One uses Jandy and the other uses Heyward. One does free form patios vs the standard square. They both seemed to have opposite suggestions in a couple categories. So figured I would get opinions on here about what we are looking for.

The one company won't send you renderings or prices until you sign, which is strange to me since all the other companies will send you stuff. The other company I have the renderings below. I am waiting on 2 companies to send their stuff to me.

Fudali_7_15_15_001.jpg

Fudali_7_15_15_002.jpg

As soon as I have the other ones I will post them.

They won't send you prices or pics till you sign?! Run from them!

It is odd, because they are one of the largest builder in the area. They give you a price, just not the break down and not printed out or e-mailed. The also don't send renderings. Before signing anything I plan to make sure EVERYTHING is in writing, but at this stage I am just letting it go since we may not pick them. Two of our neighbors used them and their pools turned out nice and both are happy with them. He let me take a picture of his computer screen of the rendering, but then we changed a bunch of stuff afterwards. I thought it was odd, but they were the first in, so I thought it was normal. But everyone else is more than willing to send us renderings of the pools.

OK, so we got the drawings from the other guy today. We are going to make some slight changes, but as you can see if it totally different because the patio is not square. This just blew my husband and I's head because we never thought of doing that. Now we are not sure what to do.

I love the patio on the second one! It follows the pool's shape. Like Amanda said that area looks just right for a fire pit sitting area!

If you like number 1 better I am sure they could do the patio the curved way if you asked.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
#1 pool shape is not totally what we want the guy that won't send me the drawing I liked his a little better. But now we are thinking we like the fire pit area right next to the spa since you will use both during the cold weather and might have both going at the same time. I would like to see #2 after the changes I sent him. We are thinking of reversing the deep and shallow end, moving the stairs, moving the spa more into the fire pit area and moving then fire pit over to get is a longer swim lane. We may also make the walkway around the pool 3' instead of 2 1/2'

It is a small backyard, it is 50' across (but only 40' of it can be used) and about 50' back from the house. We have a slope at about 40' back. We have a covered patio that is 8' feet out from the house. So the pool has about a 40x32 feet area it can go in. Tomorrow when it is light out I will take some pics.

We used hose when we were designing the first option, which isn't totally what we designed, more that guys version of it. We were thinking of getting the hose out for option 2 to figure it out. I think this time we will need one for the pool and one for the patio.

Having a curved patio area around the pool is such a nice touch. Depending on yrou patio material it can cost a lot more, but it is nice. One thought about the curves, is think about cutting the grass. make sure that the curves have a large enough radius that you can easily cut the grass. It you make it too tight, then it always be a pain to mow.

Keep yoru shallow end around the main congregation area on the patio, so be careful in flipping the shallow and deep end (maybe you are flipping it to achieve that result).

To me there is very littel difference between a 2.5 foot walk way and a 3 foot walk way. In my opinion, neither really allows enough space. You could not sit on that with yrou feet in teh pool, and have someone walk around you without having to go into the grass. You cant really put a chair in that space.

Not sure if you are in a windy area, but consider the wind when you place your fire pit area. Do you want smoke to go towards yoru hot tub and or patio furniture and or house doorway? Some soming to those things brings heat which is nice, but also brings smoke which is not. It also brings embers along with it.

Having a curved patio area around the pool is such a nice touch. Depending on yrou patio material it can cost a lot more, but it is nice. One thought about the curves, is think about cutting the grass. make sure that the curves have a large enough radius that you can easily cut the grass. It you make it too tight, then it always be a pain to mow.

Keep yoru shallow end around the main congregation area on the patio, so be careful in flipping the shallow and deep end (maybe you are flipping it to achieve that result).

To me there is very littel difference between a 2.5 foot walk way and a 3 foot walk way. In my opinion, neither really allows enough space. You could not sit on that with yrou feet in teh pool, and have someone walk around you without having to go into the grass. You cant really put a chair in that space.

Not sure if you are in a windy area, but consider the wind when you place your fire pit area. Do you want smoke to go towards yoru hot tub and or patio furniture and or house doorway? Some soming to those things brings heat which is nice, but also brings smoke which is not. It also brings embers along with it.

Yes, we have talked about the mowing of the grass. We plan to outline the pool in hose in our yard once we get the right design and also outline the patio so we can see if mowing would be a pain. We had a pool before and our stairs were right when you came out the door, but we always went over to the table and put our towels down and then got in. We are going to have two tables, one right out the door and one over where the new stairs will be. So I don't think either place will matter having the stairs. I think for pool design it makes more sense to have the stairs on the other side.

We already have a fire pit, so we know all about smoke. We live in central Florida, wind comes from any direction it feels like coming from. So there is no ideal placement. It won't be a permanent fire pit anyways, so we can move it. We want to be able to move it and put a table out in that area if we have a party in the summer time.

We already have a fire pit, so we know all about smoke. We live in central Florida, wind comes from any direction it feels like coming from. So there is no ideal placement. It won't be a permanent fire pit anyways, so we can move it. We want to be able to move it and put a table out in that area if we have a party in the summer time.

Have you thought about making a top for the fire pit so it could be used as a table in the summer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.