Help after SLAM

Hello. While you may have SLAMmed according to your own description, unfortunately we have no details as to what happened, test results, chemicals used, etc. So we (TFP members) are in the dark. It would be best to provide us with the following so we can assist:
- Your pool info: Please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later as we answer your questions.
- What test kit are you using?
- Please provide the following: FC, CC, CYA, PH, TA, CH
- What chemicals have you put in your pool
- When you SLAMmed in the past, how did you know (if at all) you passed? Or did you ever pass?

We may have more questions for you based on your replies, but this is a start.

As for posting pics: Have you tried linking your photos from Photobucket? That's what many of us do here on TFP. Upload your pics to Photobucket (free), then copy & paste the IMG code for that pic from Photobucket to your TFP post. Works great.

This is my first pool so i have no idea what im doing. I have no idea what these abreviations mean even. My pool is the above ground 18 foot by 48 inches deep intex metal framed. I am using the 5 way test kit which tests for chlorine, bromine, acid demand, ph and total alkalinity.

- - - Updated - - -

My alkalinity (if im doing this corrctly) is at 50ppm.
Ph is through the roof at 8.2
And my chlorine/bromine is maxed on my reader at 5 and 10.

I see. No problem. We'll guide you. First, understand there are two BIG things you need to do so you are in control:
1 - You must have the right test kit from TFTestkits.net. It's a one-time investment that will save you lots of headaches. The testing you will need to do cannot be done by test strips, pool store 5-way kits, etc. Please make ordering a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 your #1 priority.
2 - Familiarize yourself with the following pages:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Poolmath calculator
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

3 - To clear your water you will need to SLAM: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. But you must have the proper test kit to do that. Then we can really get you going.

For now, depending upon the size of your pool, just add about 1/2 gallon of regular bleach to your water each evening until you receive your test kit. That might help keep the water from getting any worse. Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

I do see it now in your signature. Something else you could add to that signature that would be helpful:
- AG Vinyl 7,600 gallons (based on your measurements above)
- Type of filter (cartridge, sand, etc)
- Type of pump and horse power
- Type test kit
- Well water (yes or no)?

These are just thing we look for whenever we see a post. :) But those links I gave you above will help clarify things like abbreviations, chemicals used and why, etc.

Great, thank you. Well then, I see our first challenge here ... getting you the proper test kit. The reason is that the 5-way has its limitations, and the test kits at TFTestkits.net - specially either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. Why? These two kits come with the FAS-DPD (power & drops) required to give you VERY accurate FC (free Chlorine) readings at levels higher than 5 as noted on most pool store testers.

To illustrate, please see this chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. Most pool owners never really know their CYA (stabilizer level). When they finally test it themselves, then they can bring the FC to the appropriate level as their CYA. Those two items go hand-in-hand. Pool stores and most builders never tell you that. So having the right test kit will allow you to test your FC level if it needs to be 7, 10, 20, etc. You can't do that with anything else.

I have the TF-100 w/ speed stir and love it. You can also request an XL size which gives you additional reagents since some folks use a lot at first. I would highly recommend getting one of the test kits first so you can post the readings we need to see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.