New Hayward skimmer arrived!

Jul 24, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
Would appreciate your advice, tips, & tricks for installing the Hayward skimmer onto my Intex Ultra Frame pool. Still waiting for the Intex hose to arrive. Here's how I'd like to configure the installation so that I can keep the original intake to the sand filter functional. On the sand filter where pool water enters the pump, I want to create a t-connector that would accommodate hoses for the intake and the skimmer. Does this sound logical?

You're thinking of keeping the original intake and just T'ing it with the new skimmer ?? That shouldn't be a problem.

I did that with mine. Its hard plumbed with pvc then a "T" off each side there is a valve connected to hose. To be quite honest since I put on the skimmer I rarely use the original...

Take your time on the skimmer. Plan, review plan, prepare tools, install. That simple....

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks for your feedback ;) yes, just want to keep existing hoses & add a t this year. Next year,me will do the hard plumbing. As for the Hayward skimmer, it is a daunting task! I want to keep the butterfly gasket in tact, so I'm going to use a technique I came across somewhere on TFP where the gasket is installed on one side then the skimmer is attached, holes drilled. Then the cutout is made, with partial disassembly of skimmer so the gasket can be installed properly.

- - - Updated - - -

It help so when you want to clean the skimmer you close it and open the original intake without turning off the pump.

Exactly!

578c8ca1_l.jpeg

c5ebd193_l.jpeg

89793ef2_l.jpeg

7b62cb95_l.jpeg

dda91893_l.jpeg

I used 1 1/2 PVC and Flex PVC. The PVC thread here helped with the setup. I used Red hot blue glue and purple primer.

Shop Christy's 8 fl oz PVC Cement at Lowes.com

Just take your time and measure. I had to redo part of the PVC going out as I had a few leaks next to the fountain.

For the Hayward skimmer I cut the butterfly and ended up with minor leaks on the side. I used clear window silicon on the edge of the skimmer and no leaks whatsoever. It has been weeks with no sign of any leak.

Attachments

• IMG_6856.jpg
    IMG_6856.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 63
Got the valve from lowes it was cheaper instead of homedepot. It will be right across from all the PVC adapters.

orange? Blue big box?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wow, your setup is perfect! Thanks for sharing the pictures ;)

Forgot to mention that it's perfect when you vacuum. You can turn on the intake valve and close the skimmer while inside the pool instead of getting out to shut the pump off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.