LifeTime Supporter
Sep 15, 2013
Fayetteville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Husband drained, repaired, painted, and refilled pool in May (see "it's pool repair weekend" for specifics) that we live about 600 miles away from and rent out.

Paid someone to get the pool water squared away. Unfortunately, even after $500 in service and chems for 1.5 months, that didn't go so well. Black spots on pool floor remained.

So we hired someone else. He rid of the spots (8 hours of brushing), but that isn't going so well either as even though he's able to keep the spots from coming back, he's having to spend an extraordinary amount of time and expense on the pool. (Another $550 in a month).

We are on vacation and nearing the pool location. It just dawned on me that this is still likely metal we are dealing with (although current pool guy thinks it was algae of some sort).

There is also an opinion from the local pool store that the surface pool are not smooth due to the chipping of the plaster during pressure washing. When we painted, pockets were created allowing for dirt to collect and allow for algae to develop more easily.

This makes little sense to me as prior to our repairs the plaster was in far worse shape, but never did our (now retired) pool people spend more than 30 or so minutes at the pool per week.

I do not have the TFP suggested kit (since someone else was doing the pool!) but I can get my hands on a "5 way test kit", it has OTO-50 for chlorine test, acid demand test and 3-part alkalinity test.

I'll post the numbers of such results when we arrive, but is there something else I need to test for that I could pick up at the local pool supply store?

We only have about an hour, perhaps 2, to figure out what to do a out this thing. Obviously, I don't have the ability to further read, much less graduate, from pool school during that time.

I'd very much appreciate any insight and help you all could offer the next hour or so!!

Pulling in drive now.

Here's what we have folks.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438198295.851607.jpg
Alkalinity was 70.

Pool is in absolute full sun.

Only things different are

1. current pool guy is putting pucks into chlorinator. Last year's company was putting pucks directly into the 2 return baskets.

2. The vegetation from the vacant house next door is taller and growing over fence.

3. I'm not sure what type of vacuum last year's company used. I'd guess it was more "commercial" than what the current guy is using, which is the triangular head vacuum. Could it really make HOURS worth of difference in the time it takes?

There is no chlorine in the pool, that is why algae is growing. Need to know what the CYA level is in the pool and set the chlorine level based on that and the Chlorine CYA Chart

Right now you need to Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain the pool. That requires an FAS/DPD chlorine test kit and at least an hour a day for a week or two. That is the only way to get rid of the algae.

There isn't really anything you can do in an hour or two. And I'm not sure you will be able to get your poolguy to follow the TFP maintenance schedule. So, I'm not really sure where to go with this.

This is how we maintain pools. You can read up for next time and for interviewing pool maintenance companies.
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.