Pump won't start automatically....

charlieTX

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 22, 2013
Houston, Texas
I have a 2hp Centurion pump on approx 30,000 gallon in ground pool.

Over the weekend some toys got in to the skimmer inlet and dislodged the basket, and I am assuming the leaves and other debris has caused a lack of water to the pump while it was running.

So now the pump humms and resets when I turn it on.

I can "jump start" it manually by spinning the impeller as it tries to kick on, and then it runs for several hours until I turn it off. (I found the impeller gets very, very hot during this cycle!!!!)

However when the next cycle is due, the pump will not start again. It tries, stops, and eventually overheats.

Is this likely to be a capacitor or motor issue, or is the whole pump done? It's only about 18 months old and when it does run it's still nice and quiet.

Thanks a lot!

I hate to differ with another member but you mentioned the impeller gets very hot at this that sounds more like the motor is history, because a bad capacitor would cause the first issue about not starting but getting hot that is totally different . I had the same problem as you described about losing water and it also burnt up my pump sorry to say.

Is it the pump casing or motor housing that's getting hot?
I doubt that you can feel the impeller to tell if it's getting hot.

The housing gets hot after it has tried the cycle of trying to start and failing several times, and the exposed "nut" of the impeller that I twist to "jump start" the pump was VERY VERY hot and I have a decent burn on my thumb.... However it still started with the manual "encouragement" and ran all day.

I guess I can order and change the capacitor first. If the motor is gone, does that equal a new pump?

Thanks guys!

Godney,no offense taken. I might be wrong. If we put all our responses together..... Capacitor could be shot, motor being hot could be the windings in the motor or something else inside the motor. Yeah, you can't actually feel whether the impellor is hot, and possibly the fan blades inside the motor have broken or melted which causes the overheat. The last thing is possibly the air vents underneath the front of the motor are clogged.

That motor is likely drawing much higher current without the run cap or aux winding, whichever is bad.
So, you're overheating the main winding as it was not designed to function with out the aux winding.
If you continue to use it in this manner, you will be replacing the motor.
Get a new capacitor asap, and don't run the motor without it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.