How does one determine if the cell is bad?

Jul 29, 2015
Cranberry Twp, PA
I have a 7 year old Aqua Rite SWG. My chemistry is in spec and I can only generate about 2ppm, even on Super Chlorinate. I removed and cleaned the cell. After reinstalling, same situation. It is very hot here, pool temp about 88F. Talked to company and voltages check out OK on control panel. How does one check the cell to determine if it is bad/failed?

Hi, welcome to TFP! While the SWG is on collect a sample directly from the return closest to the SWG and test the FC. This will give you an idea how much chlorine it is able to generate. Average life of a salt cell is 3-5 years, so if you are on year 7 odds are it is time for a new cell.

As the cell ages, the box salt reading will begin to drift down away from the actual salt level.

The best evaluation of an aquarite cell is how close the box salt reading is to the verified actual salt level. If it's within 400 ppm, it's good. If it's over 400 low, it's going bad. If it's over 800 low, it's time for a new cell.

Typically, if one adds salt according to the box until the cell fails completely, the salt level will end up at about 5,500 ppm to 6,500 ppm.

Then, when the new cell is installed, the salt will read correctly, and the box will shut down due to high salt. Then you have to drain and refill to lower the salt level.

What are the diagnostic readings and what cell do you have?

What is the box salt reading and what is the actual salt level?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.