Chlorine and Vitamin C - No Effect on Stain - What Next?

May 3, 2015
Moorpark, CA
I got some several small stains on the steps which resemble the bigger ones I have failed to get rid of at the deep end.

1) Bleach poured on stain did nothing (not organic?)

2) Vitamin C tablet laid on stain did nothing (not metallic?)

3) Vitamin C rubbed on stain did nothing (not metallic?)

4) Stain is dark brown, and you cannot feel any difference in texture at stain (not calcium deposit?)

I have a lot of berries that drop into the pool from nearby trees. I'm thinking the pigment in these berries may be doing this, but I don't know how you would get rid of that.

I don't know what to try next. Should I try Jack's Magic Stain iD Kit?

Michael

Normally you would want to use a trichlor puck and not liquid bleach. The liquid dispersed too rapidly whereas the trichlor puck is both a concentrated source of chlorine AND acidic enough to mildly etch the plaster in that spot allowing the chlorine to penetrate better. I would retest with a trichlor puck if you have one on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, there is no logical reason for it not to respond but since it is not, you can try elevating the FC to double it's normal level for at least 10 days and see if that doesn't lighten it.

Of course, that is still assuming it's organic. It is one or the other for sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another thought. If the stain does not respond to trichlor, and it doesn't respond to ascorbic acid, doesn't that mean it could be copper? My understanding is ascorbic acid will not only not remove a copper stain, but can darken a copper stain. It's already dark, so maybe that's it.

Another thought. If the stain does not respond to trichlor, and it doesn't respond to ascorbic acid, doesn't that mean it could be copper? My understanding is ascorbic acid will not only not remove a copper stain, but can darken a copper stain. It's already dark, so maybe that's it.

Citric acid will dissolve copper better than ascorbic acid. You can purchase citric acid in some organic food stores under the name sour salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.