How does one plumb an AGP maindrain to a skimmer?

mariane

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2012
Metro Detroit, Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We installed our pool and put a main drain in the deep end 9 years ago but never cut the liner, nor plumbed it into the filter. It is just a pipe sticking out of the ground right now.
Is there a way to plumb it so that the debris from the bottom does not go directly to the pump but maybe thru a skimmer basket first? On the install instructions, it shows it would bypass the skimmer and go directly to the pump, but first going thru a 3 way valve. It seems a lot of crud would go into the filter while pushing the stuff into the drain, resulting in more frequent backwashing. I have to admit I almost never have to backwash since we use a skimmer sock all the time, and the pressure really never seems to go up.
What do you all think?
Thanks!

Won't work. The laws of physics won't allow the water to climb up the pipe above the skimmer basket and flow. It has to be connected to suction somehow. As long as you have good skimmer action, there shouldn't be that much stuff hitting the floor of the pool anyway. And a main drain doesn't draw all that fast, either. I can brush debris - a flower petal, perhaps - straight at the main drain and unless it hits one of the openings straight on, it will just pass over the top. It has nothing like the velocity of the skimmer. The skimmer is limited to the width of the throat and maybe 1/2" deep over the weir. Just to keep the same water level after the pump empties the skimmer requires a lot of movement. But the drain has several feet of water just gravity feeding into it. You won't see stuff being drawn into the drain the way surface debris gets drawn into the skimmer.

Thanks Richard.
Others have posted that they bring all the debris to the middle of the pool where it would be picked up by the middle main drain. Is that a better idea? I'm wondering what happens to the debris that people have said they just open the main drain and push it in there. Will it clog the drain? Will bigger debris clog the pump basket before it gets to the filter? Would this cause a problem with the pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.