CYA Very High and Algae Continually Difficult to Eradicate

ccanas

Jul 28, 2015
Rancho Cordova, CA
I have a 33,000 gallon inground pool w/pebble tech finish...first time I've had a high cya level...don't know for sure why...I use liquid chlorine, shock, and tablets. I'm not sure which tablets are best: trichlor or dichlor; maybe you can help me. I realize I am going to have to drain part of the water out of the pool. Is there any other way since our state is in a terrible drought?

The shock (if powder rather than liquid) and tablets added that cya for you. Dichlor and trichlor both add almost as much cya as they do chlorine. The chlorine is consumed and needs to be replenished. The cya sticks around unless you replace water to lower it.

That's why TFP strongly recommends using only liquid liquid chlorine for regular maintenance. (it won't add anything extra but a small amount of salt) :)

Thank you, I think I've finally learned this lesson. Would I stlll shock my pool once a week as recommended with the powder form (is there a liquid form of shock)? So TFP recommends just liquid chlorine for even the shock?

- - - Updated - - -

By using my regular little test kit. The CYA was over 100 but the test tube only measured to 100, it was past that. My chlorine and pH were right on, but now I've learned that the CYA locks in the chlorine and does not let it attack the algae; therefore, algae stays, grows etc.
I am emptying a portion of my pool as we speak :)

TFP method does not recommend a weekly shock. It is not necessary if you maintain chlorine levels properly. If you ever had a reason to shock the pool, TFP advised to SLAM (shock level and maintain) until you pass a set of criteria.

Weekly shocking is the pool store answer to hold algae at bay when FC is too low for your CYA level. It's a short term band-aid at best, but since most powdered "shock" adds CYA, the problem is compounded.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.