Pool light reviews

loridud

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2008
Texas
We're ab out to have a new pool light installed. We want to go with a LED light.....does anybody have any recommendations ono brands?? Specifically speaking, the Hayward ColorLogic vs the Pentair Intellichoice.

Please let me know of any advice you may have.
Thanks

Now that is one tough question! Before I tackle that, depending on what niche you already have in the pool, you can just replace the incandescent bulb with an LED color-changing bulb, details HERE.

Now, to your question. The Intellibrite has a somewhat unique lens that is supposed to spread the light for a "brighter look". Nonetheless, the Colorlogic is a good product, too. Neither will give you the brightness of a 500w incandescent, though.

Does anyone have a comparative list of power consumption for the various LED pool lights?

My system will have 6 total lights: 3 large in pool, 2 spa-size in wet deck, and 1 more small one in the spa.

I am completely off-grid, using solar electric power for everything, so energy efficiency is paramount. Even though the difference bewteen a 50 watt and a 70 watt bulb may seem negligible to anyone connected to the utility, it really adds up for me.

If anyone has wattage specs for the various LED lights, that would be a big help.

I am interested in an update from users. I am considering LED lights for an inground pool (dark gunnite finish). any reason to prefer Pentair Intellibrite to Hayward ColorLogic vs. go with a SAM light?

I have not much experience with lights, however we were very disappointed with the original light which was a white basic light. After much research we decided to replace it with an intellibrite and what a difference it makes. We turn it on every night to watch the various light shows and love it. Search for them on ebay, I got mine for $175.00 :-D :-D :whoot: new with the warranty, we just could not pass on this :cheers: :cheers:

Look at this post: please-send-me-pics-of-intellibrite-lights-t17709.html

Hope this helps :cheers: :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We also installed two pentair intellibrites instead of the one 500 watt incadescent and it was money well spent. one of the best features of our pool!

My PB did mention that if we upgraded to the LED's that we would have to install two instead of having just one.

Jandy Watercolors LED~ Don't BUY ONE!!!

I love the LED idea of these lights and my Jandy Watercolors really lights up my 18x36 inground vinyl lined pool. BUT the RED, yes, I said RED color is Halloween-like creepy...the light has beautiful pinks, purple, blues and green colors and the pool looks gorgeous.. BUT when the red color comes on it is not a smooth transition as the other pretty colors are and it kinda goes dark in the pool and then the light glows an evil, awful red color :twisted: all around the light and then it moves on to the next pretty color. The color listing on the box calls the color magenta or something but make no mistake~ It's BLOOD RED!!! :shock:

I would not recommend this light for that reason. I called JANDY and was told that's just how the RED LEDs show up and that's appropriate...NO WAY...It's scary and my 16, 13, and 9 yr old kids scream for me not to turn on the red or cycle thru the light shows (5 out of 7 light shows contain the "red"...eeew!) They wanna just leave it on a solid color like blue or green. I just knew our light was defective but was really frustrated to think that last yr they knew about this and still continue to sell them. We won't ever use the RED, white and blue light show for 4th of July! :grrrr:

The SCARY RED light would be perfect for Halloween, but in Missouri we have to shut down the pool way before then! :shock:

@Really Tired Teacher -Wondering what color your liner is? We are picking plaster in the next few days and want to go with a cobalt blue type color but fear the lights won't show up. You are the only person I have seen that actually has the Jandy light.

Our liner is a medium ocean blue color except trim has burnt orange and grays with the blue. The light output is great and lights from it's location, centered under the diving board, all the way to the shallow steps at the other end (they're white and they glow in the light). The deep end is a little more illuminated than the shallow, but it's all really great color. I wasn't sure if I should order 1 or 2 lights when we did the install, but we went with one since the pool is rectangular with no curves or bends. I'm so glad we didn't waste money on a second, it isn't needed at all. BUT the magenta (RED) light it can produce is HORRID! Keep that in mind, we bought it this time last yr for $425 online...great price for LED but you really can't use it as a light show without scaring people! :shock: :shock: :shock:

If you think your pool will be too dark, 2 lights might be necessary.

I will look up my information papers that were included with the light and see what the manufacturer says about best types of pool to use the light in. I'll post tomorrow if I find out more.

@Really Tired Teacher - I finally spoke to someone else that has the Jandy light and they actually love the red. They think it's "romantic". They didn't like the yellow though, they thought it looked like a pool full of urine lol. Funny how people interpret colors. I sent you a PM just to get some clarification on your pool color because I didn't want to over take this thread. Thanks for the help!

Just installed a new liner (Ocean Wave by Tara Liners) which is classified as a deep blue liner. Also installed two Pentair Intellibrite 5g lights connected to the controller. Attached is a pic showing the lights. Note full coverage of pool and even illuminates the slide a backboard. Pic taken with iPhone, no flash.

The reds do not provide near as much light spread as the blue and greens. Have others experienced the same? May be due to the deep blue liner.

Our favorite programs are California Sunset and Caribbean.

Won't let me upload photo--file size too big.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.