Adjusting suction...

Wade C

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Tampa, FL
I recently decided that rather than continue to pay a poolguy to service my pool, I would take the time to read up on and understand whatwas actually going on in that mysterious container of green-blue water in mybackyard. Therefore, after reading quitea bit around the forum, I bought a test kit and started working on turning thegreen-blue into something that was at least clear a lot less green. I startedthe SLAM last Friday, and based on the numbers and the look of the water I think I should be at the "magical 3" in the next couple of days. Along the way, I started to understand a little bit about not only the chemistry but also the hardware, so...

As I look at my pool's circulation system, I see what I believe to be the skimmer, a side-suction port (where the hose for the automatic cleaner attaches), and two main drains in the bottom of the pool. I currently have excellent suction on the side-suction port, with a bit less on the skimmer drain, and no detectable suction on the main drains. While I can increase /decrease the suction on the side-port and skimmer by adjusting the handles, I have yet to figure out a combination that brings the main drains in to draw anything. As I would like to get the mains involved in clearing out the post-SLAM debris, I thought Iwould see if anyone might have some pointers.

I’m attaching a couple of pictures in case that will help in understanding my set up.

002.jpg001.jpg

The valve on the left looks like it's closed to left. That is, the suction line on the far left is closed off. Moving that valve handle so it's pointed downward should open suction to that line. What suction line is on the far left?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.