First time do it myself pool chem/maintenace

Hello and welcome! Congrats on firing the pool guy. :) Good decision. But now we need to make sure you are prepared as follows:
- What test kit are you using? It must be one of the ones from TFTestkits.net to read FC at various levels store kits don't give (that's #1)
- Green water mean you will need to "SLAM" Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain, but you need the test kit first.
- 22K w/ green water? ... just add one gallon of regular liquid bleach each night to help keep it from getting worse. Once you receive your test kit, we can help you start the SLAM.
- Do not try/buy any pool store miracle products. It will just empty your wallet. Wait for the kit and start stocking-up on liquid bleach (generic is fine).

We'll help you more once your kit arrives. If you order the TF-100, make sure to ask for the speed stir!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Welcome to TFP!

You will need one of the Recommended Test Kits to properly manage your pool. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping. If you want to really do the right thing, I would order one of these test kits tonight. Do not rely on pool store testing - it is notably inaccurate and they will use those results to sell you all sorts of chemicals you do not need that will cost you way more than this test kit.

While you are waiting for your kit to arrive, here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
2. Chlorine CYA Chart
3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
4. Recommended Levels
5. Pool Math

Welcome! :wave:

Test kit is essential. Invest in a good one. Since the pool is green, I'd recommend the TF100 with the XL option. It's a chunk of change, but it will take you through the swamp clearing, the rest of the summer, and quite possibly next season, too.

Once you get a handle on things, you'll be amazed at how easy it is. And how much better your pool looks. And how much money you wasted with a pool service.

My pool contractor will start digging my 20x28, salt water, vinyl lined pool in a week or so. I will be ordering the TF100 XL test kit very soon. Do I need the K-1766 Salt test or the salt test strips? Also, is the magnetic stirrer needed and worth the money? Thanks!!

My pool contractor will start digging my 20x28, salt water, vinyl lined pool in a week or so. I will be ordering the TF100 XL test kit very soon. Do I need the K-1766 Salt test or the salt test strips? Also, is the magnetic stirrer needed and worth the money? Thanks!!
If you will be using a SWG, you need the test for salt. Either one is okay. The speedstir isn't absolutely necessary... until you start using it. Then you'll never go back to swirling by hand.