SWG, chlorine demand and a hot summer

WWells

Jun 3, 2013
Dunwoody, GA
PH7.5
TA 70
CYA 70
CH150
Salt 3450 (does not change over weeks), should it be using more salt?

Pool looks wonderful, no issues at all.

I have been monitoring my TC using a log, looking at the demand of the chlorine loss from day to day, I test usually mid day.

I have the SWG @ 75% and supplement bleach as needed, I lose around 1-4 PPM per day, mostly 2ppm depending on rain, sun, heat.

Q- should I be going through more salt? I cleaned the SWG 2 weeks ago with acid, or would this chlorine demand be typical? It makes me question the value of the SWG.. It seems prior to heat of summer the SWG was producing positive amounts of chlorine, now it doesn't keep up, was at 50% until 2 weeks ago. I let it get down to 5PPM and then dump 121OZ in which bumps up to 12PPM, so use 121OZ or so a week, typically bump up for weekend when bathing load is higher.

Would like to hear from others

How old is the cell. Acid cleaning is hard on them but some times necessary. How long do you run the pump. When using SWG and you need more clorine it is better to run the pump longer then turn the swg up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

How old is the cell. Acid cleaning is hard on them but some times necessary. How long do you run the pump. When using SWG and you need more clorine it is better to run the pump longer then turn the swg up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

3rd Pool season, We installed June 2013, it ran 12 hours a day until we covered it September of 2014, opened May 2015--- runs 12 hours a day 8am-8pm

I don't understand your question about salt. The SWG doesn't "use up" the salt and require replenishing often. It actually breaks down the salt to release chlorine, then it becomes bound together once again in the pool as just "salt" ready to start the cycle again. Cool, huh?

Unless you've replaced water or diluted it somehow (rain, overflows, backwashing) since taking that reading your salt number looks okay to me, but what does your SWG manual list as the optimum salt level?

Is your SWG too small for your pool? TFP suggests using one that is 1.5-3x the size of your pool to allow for lower demand on the hours they'll produce.

its correct about the amount of salt. It doesn't get used up, and as long as the salt is adequate enough for cell to make chlorine it will and be capable of its the rated amount of chlorine.

I would also ask how large the cell is rated for. TF recommends cell that is 1.5 - 3 times larger than the pool volume.
So for your pool, a 25K cell would be a good recommendation.

Also, depending on how much shade or not your pool gets will play some role on how much FC gets burned off by UV which also effect the output the SWG needs to replace it.

I'm curious about the chemistry involved here. The chlorine presumably comes from the NaCl molecules, in a chemical reaction driven by the energy from the cell. As such, would not the salt be consumed? Does the chlorine not gas off? If so, where does the Na go? By what means does the Cl become recombined with the Na to avoid salt loss?

its correct about the amount of salt. It doesn't get used up, and as long as the salt is adequate enough for cell to make chlorine it will and be capable of its the rated amount of chlorine.

I would also ask how large the cell is rated for. TF recommends cell that is 1.5 - 3 times larger than the pool volume.
So for your pool, a 25K cell would be a good recommendation.

Also, depending on how much shade or not your pool gets will play some role on how much FC gets burned off by UV which also effect the output the SWG needs to replace it.

Pentair IC20, so rated for 20K pool, would someone; 1. run it longer to produce more chlorine 2. increase output 3. use bleach to supplement 4. run on superchlro for 24 hours

I don't think there is one correct answer curious to hear from people with more knowledge

its close to 11AM, pool has sun on about 30%, around noon will have full until nearly 7PM

Pentair IC20, so rated for 20K pool, would someone; 1. run it longer to produce more chlorine 2. increase output 3. use bleach to supplement 4. run on superchlro for 24 hours

I don't think there is one correct answer curious to hear from people with more knowledge

its close to 11AM, pool has sun on about 30%, around noon will have full until nearly 7PM

-Running it longer versus increasing its output for a shorter time seem to be a wash to me. About the same draw on the unit.
-I always use bleach to supplement when I want *instant* rise in chlorine, for whatever reason. I know the cell is not going to give me *instant* protection like the liquid chlorine will.
-I avoid running superchlorinate because that seems to me to be a lot to ask of the cell. I'm trying to limit the wear and tear on my cell to make it last as long as possible. It is my Ace in the pocket for maintaining the low steady chlorine level in my pool.

Well turns out I had algae that wasn't visible until the FC got down to 5PPM or so, turned off the SWG and did SLAM until all conditions were met and let the FC drift down, at 11PPM I turned the SGW back on at 100%, 24 hours later it was 13PPM, turned down to 75% and after 24 hours was still at 13PPM

I guess I will leave it at 75% until I see a swing up/down

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For CYA=70, the recommended FC target is 5.

From what I have read here I think your cell has to work more to maintain your current level, and that in turn will apparently reduce the life span of the cell.

Thinking about this, I don't think it is doing more work as it is just putting out a certain amount of chlorine per cycle, at its current setting its just maintaining at 13PPM, would be no different if it was at 5PPM

Right?

today have FC15.5PPM up from 13 24 hours ago, reduced SWG output to 50%

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.