My above ground pool collapsed this past weekend

Jul 28, 2015
Sicklerville, NJ
I'm new to the site and appreciate everyone's time and opinion. My 24 foot above ground pool collapsed this past weekend. My children (12 and 8) are devastated. We've had the pool since before they were born. I'm certainly going to get a new one, but I'm wondering if now is the best time? I live in the Philadelphia area, so we typically have to close the pool shortly after Labor Day. That's 6 weeks from yesterday. I've talked to three different pool companies and all 3 have recommended to "act now" because future rain and snow will make our yard a muddy mess. My thought process is to wait until April of 2016 to have a new pool installed in order to save the pool from the typical winter pounding. The earliest we can get the pool installed is mid-August and then we're on vacation from the 22nd to the 29th. Does a few weeks of use outweigh the wear and tear caused by winter? Maybe I'm over-estimating the amount of pounding a pool takes from snow and ice, so I'm open to opinions and remarks.

Don't know what to say except sorry for your loss, but you might be able to save some money getting one now with the season dying down and builders and retailers looking for some work? Good luck.

Btw I'm a PA native just living in TX because I retired from Army here.

I think as long as the pool is installed, maintained, and closed properly, it wouldn't matter when you put it up. My SIL next door had hers installed at the same time of year. Other than the pump hoses leaking the next year due to leaving pucks in the skimmer, they haven't had any problems. (Well, algae, because she won't visit this site, ha ha.)

We will have to close ours down likely mid September as well, and we JUST got ours put up this past weekend. We still don't have the pump/filter/heater turned on yet, so it won't be until next weekend that we are swimming. And I still think it's worth it :) Next Spring, you will be able to just open 'er up and have a full season!

I would be hard pressed to go a month without the pool, but at the same time... you'll be away for much of it, and we got a HUGE deal on our Radiant AGP this year by buying it in January. Pool stores in NE sell pools in spring and summer, and hot tubs in fall and December. They hurt hardest in January and February. It worked out very well for us and we wouldn't have sprung for the pool we have otherwise. Good luck with your situation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.