No chlorine lots of algae HELP???

Jul 28, 2015
York PA
Recently found this forum, and I have been trying to follow the TFPC method but I haven't been able to hold any chlroine in weeks. Took water to the guys at the pool store but they tell me I have nitrates and that I have to drain the pool. Do I really need to do this? It seems absurd that there wouldn't be something to fix this. Are they working with the water company? Do I just need to dump more Clorox?

I'm very new (and waiting for my test kit in the mail). You'll need to get a test kit and look at your various numbers (chlorine, ph, CYA, etc) and go from there. Once you get a baseline of those numbers you can SLAM your pool per the Pool School on this site.

I'm currently waiting for my kit to start this, but that'll let you learn what levels your pool needs to be. Everyone here tells me to distrust pool stores, and I tend to finally agree now after dumping tons of random chemicals looking for the "magic bullet" that doesn't exist.

Welcome to TFP! First thing we need to know is how did you get YOUR test results, from the pool store, test strips, Taylor kit, TF-100, or some other method?

What does your water look like right now? What size is your pool? Is it vinyl or gunite? Is it in ground or above ground? Do you have a Salt Water Chlorine Generator? What kind of filter do you use?

Great! Stop getting anything tested at the pool store. Your results with the TF-100 are light years better in terms of accuracy. Put all of you pool info in your signature, as this well help us to help you. Start reading and then reread Pool School. For now just use bleach, muriatic acid, stabilizer, baking soda, borax, and rarely soda ash.

BTW, we love pictures! I would not worry about metals at this point...you may or may not have them. It is the only thing I would let the pool store test for me. Do not worry about nitrates or phosphates, as they are of no consequence in getting or keeping your pool crystal clear.

- - - Updated - - -

Now tell me about your pool, size, filter, what the water currently looks like, etc...Yes you should have FC in the pool, but we cannot advise you until we know your specifics regarding the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are at you pool right now do me a favor and add 2 jugs of bleach. Wait 30 minutes and test your FC. Post the results in this thread. This is assuming your FC is zero...you could have ammonia in your pool and it is consuming your FC at an alarming rate!

We also need to know your CC levels as well...

Welcome poolguy!

You may or may not have metals, but right now, it would be helpful to know your Cya level as well. One thing is certain you have a lot of Chlorine demand, but we can help you fix this no worries.

Wow! You are going to need a ton of bleach! I would add 5 jugs of bleach wait 30 minutes and test your FC. You may need to do this several times to get your FC to hold at 16. You could also use cal hypo to do this because your CH is so low.

How much bleach do you have on hand? You can also test your water for ammonia if you can get a test kit from a fish store.

If you have it, and Im not convinced you do, then you add chlorine until you kill it. Same as here. I would begin a SLAM on the pool right now. Begin adding bleach until you are able to reach and hold a residual of 16 PPM free Chlorine. No matter if there is Ammonia or not, this is what you must do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.