New 16 x 48 Intex poo owner needs help!l

We have an Intex 16 x 48 pool using the pump it came with and a saltwater generator. Filled pool with well water (using sock over water hose to filter some of the minerals out). Started pump & generator last night. This morning have emerald green pool (which I'm sure is due to metals in our well water) with the following levels via test strips (test kit hasn't arrived)

Free chlorine 1.0ppm
pH 0.2
Total Alkalinity 40
Calcium Hardness between 0-100

I know I need to get the minerals out of the water. Do I use Scale, metal, and stain remover before or after I get the pH level up using borax or baking soda?

My daughter has eczema and we want to use as many natural products as possible to keep the levels where they need to be.

Thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome to TFP. Yes, you appear to have been bitten by the metals bug. Once you've added chlorine, it oxidizes nearly all the iron to ferric iron that then forms iron oxides. So now the approach is to physically remove these precipitates either through vacuum-to-waste, through sweeping to get to the filter (or to skimmer socks or batting material). Then you'll be left with a smaller amount of iron in the water. At that point you can either use a metal sequestrant or physically remove it with something like Metal Free that tries to capture and precipitate more into the filter.

While you await for your kit to arrive, you may wish to read this page as well: Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains.

Also, it never hurts to stay current on these items:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Poolmath calculator
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Have a great day!

Welcome. I'd run n clean the filter to see how much you can catch. As stated, you may need a sequesterant to finish off the last little bit.

Hello and welcome to TFP. Yes, you appear to have been bitten by the metals bug. Once you've added chlorine, it oxidizes nearly all the iron to ferric iron that then forms iron oxides. So now the approach is to physically remove these precipitates either through vacuum-to-waste, through sweeping to get to the filter (or to skimmer socks or batting material). Then you'll be left with a smaller amount of iron in the water. At that point you can either use a metal sequestrant or physically remove it with something like Metal Free that tries to capture and precipitate more into the filter.

While you await for your kit to arrive, you may wish to read this page as well: Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains.

Also, it never hurts to stay current on these items:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Poolmath calculator
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Have a great day!

Thank you for the reply! I am running the filter continuously & cleaning it regularly. I added baking soda to bring the pH level up. Do I need to wait until that is at a normal level & then use a sequestrant? i have read differing opinions on when to add the Metal Free or some similar product.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.