Pump leaking. Time for a new one?

May 23, 2013
Hi everyone!

This is my first post for a couple years now. My pool has been running great this season, but a few weeks ago my pump started a very slow drip from somewhere underneath. It was such a small amount I did not worry about it. This morning when I turned my pump on it was more like a faucet was left partially on.

I tried sealing up the area it seemed to be coming from..waiting for it to dry now so I can go on vacation tomorrow without worrying too much.

Im thinking it may be time for a new pump as I can only assume this was the original pump and it is pretty old. I am looking for recommendations on a new pump. I don't need anything fancy, just something equivalent or slightly better than what is currently installed. There are so many options out there I really don't know where to start.

Attachments

• IMG_2906 copy.jpg
    IMG_2906 copy.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2908 copy.jpg
    IMG_2908 copy.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 25
I haven't been able to figure it out exactly where its coming from and I don't know too much about pool equipment. It seems to be coming from between the white and black part underneath so that may be what you are referring to. It's possible it may have rusted the paint is chipping off from that area.

Certainly would appear to be a leak in the seal and not actually anything wrong mechanically with the pump then. Seal kits are about $25 - $40 and you could certainly do it yourself or see if a pool service company could do it for you if you're not comfortable. Even a reputable plumber could do the repair if you ordered the part.

Thanks for the help guys! I am having a pool company come out tomorrow morning. I am leaving for vacation tomorrow so I don't have time to try to fix it myself and theres too much leaking to leave it all week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.