5bucks

Jun 6, 2015
Quarryville/PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am new to de filters. I have just fixed a leak (hopefully), so note - air was being drawn. My concern is, as I've opened and closed this thing 5 times, I've noticed the fingers do not seem to be coated. There is just a pile of powder at the base of the filter. Is this normal? I had taken the filter head to a pool store in order to obtain parts (bump shaft kit, clips, etc) and the technician noted the fingers didn't seem coated and suggested adding more de. Just prior I had actually weighed out 5lbs required for the ec50. Any advice would be appreciated.

When the DE is fresh it will coat the grids or fingers when the pump is turned on and mostly fall back off when the pump is turned off. As dirt accumulates the DE will cling more to the grids/fingers when the pump is turned off. When it is time to change the DE most of it should be sticking to the grids/fingers.

That being said, are you seeing any signs that dirt is by-passing the filter?

That's normal. Theoretically, all the DE should fall off the screens or fingers when the pressure stops. Then when the pump restarts, it all gets churned up and mixed and the heavy stiff - sand and whatever - settles to the bottom and only DE coats things. It doesn't work that way in reality. Your bump-type filter is designed to knock everything off when it gets stuck. Since the DE is new, it's not sticking. As it collects stuff from the water, it will. Eventually, it will get stuck so bad you need to bump. When bumping no longer helps, then you replace the DE.

thank you for the explanations. I am now having a heck of a time trying to get the pin back in the handle. I wanted to move it to the other side due to a chip. Any tips?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.