Phosphates question.

Mar 30, 2008
Irmo, South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone. I have just done my first test of the year on our pool. The pool has been looking good all winter and I pretty much did nothing from about November until now except keep things clean. My test results were as follows:
FC=0
TC=0
CC=0
pH=7.6
TA=80
CYA=30 to 35

Local Leslies test results were comparable to mine. The only thing I have a concern about is they told me my phosphates were at 2500. I am starting my pool chemical upkeep today via bleach etc. Do I need to do something about the phosphates? Thanks in adavance, Calvin.

No, don't worry about phosphates at all. There are some rather rare problems where you need to think about phosphates. As long as you don't have any of those problems you can just ignore them. My phosphate level wanders between 2,000 and 5,000 and I have never had any problems.

Some pool stores have been pushing phosphate remover for a while now as a way to make more money. It can get expensive and is usually a complete waste of time and money.

Thanks again for all of the posts. I used the BBB method last summer and it worked great. I plan on using the BBB method for the rest of the time that I have a pool (which will probably be as long as we live in a warm climate). Thanks again for all of the support this site provides. Later, Calvin.

I'll use this opportunity to relate a Pool Store-y.

Two years ago, before BBB, I was using tabs and going to the local store. I was having the usual algae problems even though I was following the normal regimen. At the recommendation of the store I bought some phosphate strips and phosphate remover for quite a bit of cash. After testing, my phosphate level was 600 (almost off the chart! :shock: ). I followed the instructions and went through several days of worry as my filter pressure went from 20 to 40 as the phosphate precipitated out and into my filter. I finished the cycle, backwashed and was relieved to see that my phosphates were now under 100. Of course, the algae problem persisted (I know now that it was because my CYA was almost 100). I repeated this process several times over the course of the summer in an attempt to combat the algae that would creep up occasionally. Again, at the recommendation of the store I went through Cal-Hypo, non-chlorine shock, etc.

I think I spent $150 on phosphate remover and more than that on "shock". Wow, that sure buys a LOT of bleach.

I don't even test or worry about the phosphates any more. Finding this site taught me that knowing what is in my pool and what it does makes my pool Trouble Free!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.