New to the site AND to the pool world.

Marci M

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Kapolei, Hawaii
Aloha!
I'm Marci and I live in Hawaii. We just bought a house with a pool that we should be able to use all year around.

My only resource for pool stuff is the local pool store, but I can't get to them very often because of my work schedule.

So far I've spent way more time cleaning and trying to balance my pool than I have swimming in it.

I also have trouble finding a pool resource that will ship to Hawaii. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Hopefully, I can get some help from you fine people. I've already learned a lot from reading posts in forum.

I look forward to meeting you.
Thank you for your time.

Marci

Aloha Marci! Good to have you aboard. :wave:

We are all about knowledge and testing our own water. To gain control yourself you need a proper test kit, and in your situation, I would suggest trying Pool Supply World in CA. They carry a TF100 test kit and may ship to Hawaii. If not, contact TFTestkits.net for the same kit. I'm pretty certain they will ship it anywhere there are USPS post offices. If these options aren't attractive, my only other suggestion is finding someone out there who sells or can order you a Taylor K2006, or K2006-C test kit.

Getting a good kit is essential for clearing a pool. And with either of these, and the help/knowledge you'll find here your problems will be over.

Welcome to TFP! As for chemicals, you probably don't need to look any further than your grocery store. Plain unscented liquid bleach (w/o any added thickeners) is all you need for chlorine. That, along with baking soda (if needed), can be found at the grocery store. You may have to go to the pool store for muriatic acid, but sometimes even that is available at larger grocery stores or home improvement centers.

Hi Patrick_B,

I had been using the wrong test kit and trips for testing my chemicals. It wasn't until I stumbled onto this site that I even heard of CYA. The first thing I learned from here was to order a TF100 test kit. I just got it in the mail yesterday! Boy, are my chemicals WAY off from my test strip readings!!

I've already started getting advice from the forums. Thanks for your reply. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Texas Splash,

Thanks for responding. I'm in Makakilo, just about Barbers Point. It's hot and sunny all the time, so algae is a constant nemesis.
Good to meet you! Aloha. :)

Hello BoDarville,

The things I've learned here in the last couple of days have been incredibly helpful. I've wasted so much money buying expensive "pool products" from the pool when it seems I've had a lot of those things stored in my garage.

Thanks for your response. Aloha! :)