Saving an older wood panel AGP, help!

Your really not going to know what kind of shape the bottom rails and bottom edge the walls are in until you start getting it apart. Take a trowel or hand shovel and pull the dirt and rock away at the bottom so you can get a visual before agreeing to take it. Are those actual wood panels? If so are they structural or just decorative? Make the deal contingent on a thorough inspection and don't take it if any structural components are missing, or creased. If you are a handy person and feel you can fix any problems the structure may have then go ahead and give it a shot. The price is right!

Bring a box of zip lock bags, masking tape, and a sharpie. Separate and label the bags as you put parts in them (screws for top caps, screws for uprights, ect) Bring a box for larger pieces. It will probably go back together easier if you put all the pieces in the same location. Start with an upright, label it #1 with masking tape and as you take pieces off that upright label them with 1 also. For top and bottom rails put a 1 on the left side and a 2 on the right. Next rail would be 2-3 then 3-4 ect. Number them sequentially all the way around the pool.

Does a filter and pump come with it?

I doubt those are wood panels. It is a steel sided pool with wood grained paint on it. (take a magnet to it) The pool side is all one piece and rolls up to move. Don't leave it laying out on the grass in the hot sun! It will kill the grass in a short time. (ask my brother about that one). Take a lot of pictures when you take it apart. When you have it apart is the best time to paint all of the components too

It is indeed metal sided (thank goodness). To answer the first question it has two filters an intex 2500gph on the pool and hopefully (he just said bigger) a sand in his basement. I will definitely use the advice of labeling and ill also take inventory of each and every part. I'll take as many pictures as I can. Also will a rustoleum white work for the rails/buttresses? I'll take them into my basement work area and spray paint them as soon as I get them home.

I got a used 10 y.o.( date was on the pump) Lomart metal sided pool with a faux wood siding from Craigslist. Lomart is related to Doughboy pool which I researched a lot last year. It's a sturdy pool. I only had a photo of my pool all disassembled in a wooden crate. I paid $150 for it and the man loaded it on a rented trailer and it came with nice plastic stair steps and very sturdy ladder-that alone was worth $150. My metal pool sides were all rolled up and gosh darn it the bolts were still in the interlocking seam meaning the pool was folded completely flat and rolled, so crease big time but I just undid bolts, he riveted the seam closed too. Then I walked on the folded seam and it worked out. It had a few more small creases. The sand filter looked ok EXCEPT the handle that moves the water from suck to waste was broken off and I had no idea how it worked. There was new parts on the internet for the 10 year old sand filter but I bought a new sand filter any way. I got 2 motors with the deal and I don't trust either one so I bought a new pump. I got a liner 25 gauge over lap for $119 at Swimming Pool Supplies, Accessories, Chemicals, Liners, Safety Covers, Solar Covers, Aboveground and Inground Swimming Pools, Heaters, Filters and Parts, Floats, Toys and More! - PoolSupplies.com ( free shipping) I struggled to install the bleeping liner and it survived my newbie wrestling. I was missing only 1 18 " section of metal coping, I bought new plastic coping. I lost ( lab pup walked off with it) one thing that covers the 2 top rail sections. I bought new self tapping metal screws. I had no directions to assemble but I did it. I have put over $1000 in the $150 pool but it is very sturdy. I spray painted the top rails. I just finished painting the metal sides ( I used exterior primer from Sherwin Williams and then used a roller to paint the sides, again Sherwin Williams -paint for wet areas exterior) I had to spot treat with rusty metal primer-rust wasn't too bad. The old skimmer seemed fine but was badly cracked. New gaskets are important and come with a new skimmer. I hard plumbed my filter and pump with PVC- I used 2 ball shut off and a lot of unions so I could take the pump or filter off line to work on them. The Lomart pool customer service was fairly helpful in making suggestions. She guided me to a good place to get parts for a 10 y.o. pool and then I found a cheaper place. I have read here don't buy a disassembled pool cause it's a big mystery but I didn't find this site till after. And I have never owned a pool. It worked out well and we are enjoying the pool thanks big time to this site. I did 98 % of the pool install myself.

I have used Rustoleum the red kind for rusty metal. I sanded it a bit then sprayed the bad spots. Some of the bottom and top metal rails needed coaxing with pliers to open, some had been stepped on, but they did great. I was thinking of using a shiny white spray paint used for cars ( we have intense sun) for my vertical supports. I used Sherwin Williams spray paint for the top rails- it sprays nicely, lots of pain for the money, less drips that other brands.

As you look at the possible parts that need replacing think about how much those individual parts would cost vs a new pool. Site preparation took the longest, leveling was hard but very important.

Well I took the pool down today. Boy, what a chore! Everything was OK except the bottom rail. 6 of the 18 lengths of it was rusted through. Being that I am rather handy I'll find some sort of fix. Any suggestion? Otherwise I'll spray off the old buttresses and top plates and paint them white. If anything I did grab a Hayward DE filter, a new skimmer, and some scrap metal to sell for a newer intex 24' (only if something goes wrong and I can't reinstall the pool). So for four hours of non stop work I think I did alright! Input from you all would be epic!

- - - Updated - - -

I got a used 10 y.o.( date was on the pump) Lomart metal sided pool with a faux wood siding from Craigslist. Lomart is related to Doughboy pool which I researched a lot last year. It's a sturdy pool. I only had a photo of my pool all disassembled in a wooden crate. I paid $150 for it and the man loaded it on a rented trailer and it came with nice plastic stair steps and very sturdy ladder-that alone was worth $150. My metal pool sides were all rolled up and gosh darn it the bolts were still in the interlocking seam meaning the pool was folded completely flat and rolled, so crease big time but I just undid bolts, he riveted the seam closed too. Then I walked on the folded seam and it worked out. It had a few more small creases. The sand filter looked ok EXCEPT the handle that moves the water from suck to waste was broken off and I had no idea how it worked. There was new parts on the internet for the 10 year old sand filter but I bought a new sand filter any way. I got 2 motors with the deal and I don't trust either one so I bought a new pump. I got a liner 25 gauge over lap for $119 at Swimming Pool Supplies, Accessories, Chemicals, Liners, Safety Covers, Solar Covers, Aboveground and Inground Swimming Pools, Heaters, Filters and Parts, Floats, Toys and More! - PoolSupplies.com ( free shipping) I struggled to install the bleeping liner and it survived my newbie wrestling. I was missing only 1 18 " section of metal coping, I bought new plastic coping. I lost ( lab pup walked off with it) one thing that covers the 2 top rail sections. I bought new self tapping metal screws. I had no directions to assemble but I did it. I have put over $1000 in the $150 pool but it is very sturdy. I spray painted the top rails. I just finished painting the metal sides ( I used exterior primer from Sherwin Williams and then used a roller to paint the sides, again Sherwin Williams -paint for wet areas exterior) I had to spot treat with rusty metal primer-rust wasn't too bad. The old skimmer seemed fine but was badly cracked. New gaskets are important and come with a new skimmer. I hard plumbed my filter and pump with PVC- I used 2 ball shut off and a lot of unions so I could take the pump or filter off line to work on them. The Lomart pool customer service was fairly helpful in making suggestions. She guided me to a good place to get parts for a 10 y.o. pool and then I found a cheaper place. I have read here don't buy a disassembled pool cause it's a big mystery but I didn't find this site till after. And I have never owned a pool. It worked out well and we are enjoying the pool thanks big time to this site. I did 98 % of the pool install myself.

I have used Rustoleum the red kind for rusty metal. I sanded it a bit then sprayed the bad spots. Some of the bottom and top metal rails needed coaxing with pliers to open, some had been stepped on, but they did great. I was thinking of using a shiny white spray paint used for cars ( we have intense sun) for my vertical supports. I used Sherwin Williams spray paint for the top rails- it sprays nicely, lots of pain for the money, less drips that other brands.

As you look at the possible parts that need replacing think about how much those individual parts would cost vs a new pool. Site preparation took the longest, leveling was hard but very important.

Here in the same boat. Seam was not going to cone apart so I had to fold in the sides. I'll do as you did and walk over the creases.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.