Still cloudy after months of effort

Shot in the dark but do you have a multi port valve before the water goes into the filter? This is the part with the handle , you can change to backwash, filter ect. If you do check it to make sure the rubber gasket is not shredded and the valves aren't broken. I had one and couldn't figure it out . Then saw when the filter powered up I'd see dirty water shoot back into the pool. The valve was fixed and that issue ended.

Hi chem geek,
I used crystal care super clarifier from Academy. I added 3oz for my pool. Today the pool looked a little better but i really think the clarifier set me behind. I just got impatient. The Duda bag works great but I have to keep an eye on it or it will come off when it is too full. I went back to work on Tuesday so I had to take it off. I will try again this weekend. Still keeping Slam levels. I ordered a bigger pump. It's a cartridge filter, Intel 2500 gallon. I hope that helps. Could not get the sand filter this time but hopefully next summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi J,
I have a multi port valve, but it was taken lit of the plumbing when I switched from a sand to a cartridge filter.

After cleaning the cartridge many time yesterday, I am happy to report visibility to about 4 feet. I expect it to improve.

I am having success with the clarifier, but I don't want to over do it. After cleaning the cartridge, should I reapply the clarifier?

Thanks,
David

The second time in a couple of weeks I've heard the knock that TFP frowns upon clarifier and floc. That's not true at all. What TFP encourages is using the right tool for the job. All too often pool stored members have treated algae with clarifier and floc when SLAM is the appropriate action. That's what's frowned upon. When there's obvious particulate in a pool that's been proven not to be organic in nature or too small in microns for standard filtration then there is nothing wrong with using those techniques.

Baloney. The sand isn't going to wear out in 5-7 years.

Floc is just a shortcut to good pool care. Filtration and chlorine will clear any pool. Buying unneeded chemicals is no help.

9XoTXIV.jpg

Alum Floc Here

oL8wino.jpg

oops

What was the point of your post? That you had to dig up a post by John from 2012???
I thought it would be obvious, but since it isn't:

While floc may not be "frowned upon" as you said, it is certainly almost NEVER mentioned as a solution, even to people struggling for extended amounts of time.

And if you don't like posts from 2012 do a search for "floc" and see how many times it is claimed it is "never" needed and find a year you do like. There are lots of them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I thought it would be obvious, but since it isn't:

While floc may not be "frowned upon" as you said, it is certainly almost NEVER mentioned as a solution, even to people struggling for extended amounts of time.

And if you don't like posts from 2012 do a search for "floc" and see how many times it is claimed it is "never" needed and find a year you do like. There are lots of them.

Okay, I searched floc and the first 10 threads all suggested that floc isn't appropriate for algae removal but can be utilized in situations where algae isn't the issue. So what am I missing?

The SLAM procedure that elevates chlorine levels is most specifically designed for the most common situation of algae growth (which often clouds a pool) and most algae is readily cleared by 1) killing it with elevated chlorine levels, particularly higher SLAM levels to get through algae clumps and 2) circulation/filtration. This doesn't need clarifiers of flocculants. It definitely needs chlorine or else the algae can continue to grow while you are trying to clear it away.

However, persistent cloudiness after other failures are ruled out such as channeling in a sand filter or holes in a cartridge filter or poor bottom circulation usually means that the particles are finer than the filter can capture efficiently. In these situations a clarifier or flocculant is about the only way to deal with it (if DE or equivalent fiber product in a sand filter isn't sufficient) other than water replacement.

Chlorine itself does not clear cloudiness. The purpose of chlorine is to kill algae. It is circulation/filtration that removes dead algae or other material from the pool. There is some microflocculation effect from chlorine, but it isn't the main way to clear a pool.

Now if one is going to be using a clarifier or flocculant in these less common situations, one must use the right ones. Some don't work well (we just saw that recently). For clarifiers, we've seen good results from GLB Clear Blue, BioGuard Polysheen Blue, and one other I can't remember right now while for flocculants it's OMNI Liquid Floc Plus, BioGuard PowerFloc, or most alum floc products. However, using clarifiers or flocculants is very tricky as one can overdose and make the problem worse. Also, some metal sequestrants (anionic polymers) are incompatible with clarifiers and some flocculants (cationic polymers) and will produce a precipitated mess.

Pool services will often use clarifier or flocculant products because they don't have the time to maintain a SLAM and wait for circulation/filtration to clear a pool more slowly. So for them the extra expense is worth it and they usually settle on a product that usually works and they get a sense for how much to use in different situations. Nevertheless, they also have the same problems or trouble when it doesn't work and we've seen reports of that on this forum (i.e. my pool service tried a clarifier or flocculant and my pool is still cloudy).

Hi Guys,
I checked the pool today, and for the first time in about two years (most of that time I was not trying very hard) I could clearly see the bottom of the pool until it got to over 6.5 feet deep. I am now confident that continued filtration and judicious use of clarifier (along with the installation of the Slime Bag) will finally get this water completely clear...
My wife is tired of this pool and wants to fill it in -- she has for years, talking about how much time and effort (a lot for little gain, in her mind) to make the pool even worth swimming in.
I have the opinion that there is plenty of good reasons to keep the pool, starting with the fact that our kid is eight and loves it. Now that it is getting back into shape (without back-breaking effort), the pool is looking much better in the eyes of ALL who behold it... :)

Thanks,
David

So glad to hear it!!
Just remember. Clarifier is not for algae just stubborn dust, and you should be fine. We would like some pics and another round of test numbers, just to make sure there isn't anything that needs tweaking.

From my experience as a heavy reader on the forum, if a pool will not clear when following the TFP methods closely, there often ends up being an unidentified problem with filtration or circulation, or the like. If the reason for the trouble clearing isn't figured out, the problems will return.

From my experience as a heavy reader on the forum, if a pool will not clear when following the TFP methods closely, there often ends up being an unidentified problem with filtration or circulation, or the like. If the reason for the trouble clearing isn't figured out, the problems will return.

I would amend your statement to say "there often ends up being an unidentified problem with filtration, circulation, or very small particulate".

In my case I had known particulate in the form of clay silt from a mudslide into my pool. A combination of Floc and DE was the only thing that cleared it.

I wouldn't equate a filtration "problem" with needing finer filtration. In this context, "problem" would indicate something broke with the current filtration. Adding additional equipment would be addressing "inadequate" filtration. It's all semantics but usually telling someone they have a problem with their system indicates it's broke...where it's not broke just inadequate for the task at hand.

Hi WJR,
I suspected a torn cartridge as well (I bought the filter used), and so I bought two new cartridges --a Pleatco and an Aladdin. I still had what looks like milk coming out of the return, although when the Aladdin cartridge was brand new, it caught even the tiny stuff -- so the water from the return looked clear for about ten minutes... then back to the "milk".
The pool is clearing... I will send a full set of test results today if I get over there.

Thanks,
David

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.