New Taylor K2006 kit!! now what

Jul 7, 2014
kamloops bc
:confused: so all excited about the new kit arrival, when doing the chlorine test I found that counting drops to clear was a little confusing as sample would clear and no sooner than I could record # it would lean towards pink again?? so I carried on until it stayed clear???? assuming that was correct. However I will list my findings pretty much knowing that a SLAM will be in order, but I have high Alk, and low PH. My CYA test was also a little debatable in that how well should black dot disappear? I also have a crush the tablet and stick test that says 2-5min wait, well big diff. between 2.5min and 5min ?? on that test I appear to be a little lower?? Experts please advise. I have been running my chlorinator with pucks as I'm not sure if I can add liq.chlor. through skimmer and didn't have time or want to remove cover to pour in pool??

H-145
Alk-145
FC 2
CC 1.6
Ph 7.0
CYA 58
14 x 28 8ft deep end 3.25 shallow end vinyl liner, water clear but not the usual sparkle I like
will be out for next couple of hours and realize it will be late for the easterners but will check on recommendations later:p

Don't mess with anything other than your 2006 kit. :) What do I see in yore numbers:
CYA - round-up to 60. Next time you test, pour it back after the first test , shake, and do it again. 3-4 times if you want to get a good feeling for it.
H (CH maybe) - no need to worry about that too much right now. Usually N/A for vinyl.
Alk (TA) fine for now; maybe lower slightly later
PH should be between 7.2 and 7.8; use Poolmath calculator to raise slightly
FC - If your CYA is actually 60, then your FC should never go below 7; that's when algae blooms, so keep that one up there.

Good job getting that test kit!

Re: Chlorine....as soon as it turns clear, you're done..... leave it and it will turn pink again.... that's normal, but you shouldn't go past the *first* "clear"....

Many of your other numbers really don't make sense... please review this CAREFULLY and test (and repost) again... (Like CYA 58, TA 145, CH 145)

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/24188-Extended-Test-Kit-Directions

I'm reading between the lines LOL, I played with the disappearing dot and compromised just below 60, same for TA kinda sorta wanted to clear at 14 drops and went totally clear at 15 LOL hardness must of been the same story. This whole color thing ya know?

- - - Updated - - -

Can I bring my chlorine up without reaching shock levels? and can I add bleach to skimmer?

How exciting!
attachment.php

The reason your pool has lost its sparkle is because you aren't maintaining adequate FC for your CYA level. With 60 CYA, your FC level should never drop below 5. The dull water and high CC indicate a SLAM is called for. Don't get panicked; it could be very brief if you get started quickly. It doesn't always require weeks. Your pool hasn't even turned green, so you should get fast results.

As an aside, you can do the FC & CC tests with only 10 ml of water. Then each drop represents .5. That's accurate enough and saves R-0870. Also, two scoops of powder probably isn't necessary. As long as you added enough that you see a few undissolved crystals in the vial and the color is bright pink, you're good to go.

There's a steep learning curve initially, but as you get used to testing and dosing and seeing results, it will click. All this confusing chatter will make sense once you start doing. By Labor Day, your pool will be clearer than you ever thought possible and pool care will be just a boring chore; no challenge at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay I wont add to skimmer, It's just a pain to add when covered, have a lake house so pool doesnt get used much :>(, That is why I was using tri-chlor pucks but I need to go back to school to see the down side of pucks besides CYA increase? what are they doing to ALK?

Okay test results today to follow, and want to start slam, the way I'm reading the SLAM and the Taylor booklet I would have to add based on 60000litres about somewhere in the neighborhood of 12liters of 10% chlorine?? Do I go ahead and dump this much in at once or slower and take chlor. readings as I go??

FC-1.5
CC-2.5
PH-7.2
Alk-160
CYA- 60

Shockman, it looks like you haven't received a reply for a bit, so I wanted to try and help for now. If you are going to SLAM, then yes, you need to raise that FC level as noted on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart based on your CYA. Yes, use what the Poolmath calculator says to use based on the numbers you enter. Always double-check your entries! You will pour the bleach near a return jet with the pump running.

Remember these SLAM basics:
“Maintain” the SLAM FC level until 3 objectives are met:
1. Water is clear
2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5
** You MUST meet ALL 3 items above to properly do a SLAM. Simply “spiking" the FC higher than normal isn't SLAMming, therefore there’s a good chance your algae will return.
Use the Chlorine/CYA chart (link in my sig) to bring your FC up to the proper SLAM level rating based on your current CYA and make sure it stays there (MAINTAIN) until you meet ALL 3 criteria listed above! That may take just a few days or even a week or two! That is absolutely critical for success.

At the same time, continue to run your pump 24/7. Remove any “muck” and debris, scrub all parts of your pool to expose any algae, and vacuum/clean (or backwash) filter as necessary. You may have to do this several times. It's a lot of babysitting, but with patience and consistency, you will succeed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.