Non-Chlorine Shock

Jul 9, 2015
Pittsford, NY
When is the best time to use non-chlorine shock? I have a small amount of algae in my pool I'm trying to kill off, and just added two gallons of liquid chlorine. Once the liquid chlorine does it's job, would it be smart to use the non-chlorine shock to clear it up afterwards?

What would be smart is to continue using liquid chlorine to clear up and keep away any now and future algae.

What is the ingredient in "non-chlorine shock" ?? Why would you want to use it over liquid chlorine?

Non-chlorine shock is typically MPS (or potassium monopersulfate). The thing to realize about MPS is that it is an oxidizer (although not as strong as chlorine) and it's not a very good sanitizer. It will also create false readings of both CC and FC (depending on what CC's are present in your pool) when you use your FAS-DPD test kit.

So, at the end of the day, there is no need to use MPS shock if you have adequate chlorine around as it's likely to cause more problems than it will fix. As for what to do with it....would a local Pool Store take it from you in trade for some store credit?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.