From black swamp to seeing the bottom in 2 1/2 weeks.

Brand new pool owner here. Just bought a forclosure with an 8n ground pool in the back yard. After about 2 1/2 weeks I can finally see the bottom. It was a black swampy soupy mess. The pool sat for 2 years. With a ton of help from reading on the forum I can see the stingray in the bottom.

Here's what I did. Kept it at shock level for 2 weeks( discovered a hole in the de filter only after I recharged it after every backwash) once I got the new filter I flocked it, vacvumed... waited two days let it filter, decided to flock it again and finally all the de settled and we could vaccum to waste. Stats are as follows. Advice is more than welcome. Still have a little ways to go, I think it's always going to have a little tint. It has blue and green sparkly things in the gunite.
44k gallon in ground
9ft deep 4ft shallow
PH 7.3
FC 15 ppm
CYA 50
TA 110
DE filter 3hp pump.

I have the TF 100 kit with the extra FC stuff. I wanted to buy a good kit instead of wasting money trying to do stuff with a crappy one. Thanks man we really like the pool. we lucked out with this foreclosure on 6 acres, the hotel sized pool is a giant plus. I'll add some more pics here in a bit.

6 acres??????? Hotel sized pool?? What is the house like? FUN times doing something to everything.

See we also bought a foreclosed house on 6.49 acres with an aboveground pool and pool house. So much "fun" finding all the little surprises where they cut corners or just did not even try.

BUT oh so worth it!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well hopefully your house was in better shape than mine was.. haha. I had to get a rehab loan. Where they give you 30K on top of the purchase price for renovations. This thing is almost a total gut job. Flooring, new cabinets and granite countertops. the carpet was funky. The house is still in renovation mode but the kids are having a blast on the quads and dirtbikes and what not. We are in Northern VA and the house is a 3 story 3K sq ft cape cod and we got everything for less than 200K. The PO paid 117K for the pool, pool house/shed, pool heater, DE filter ect....

Its Defiantly nice in Northern Virginia. The traffic sucks though.

She brought the FC up to 20 Tonight, I'll have her check it in the morning. My CYA is at 45-50. The pool is on recirculate to keep water flowing until I get home at around 1300 or so. I'll get the Filter fired up and let her cruise around 21-22 ppm and brush it often. I'll keep you guys updated.

Great! Try to keep it at 16 or above at all times. Arg. You used military time; now I have to calculate... Guessing that is 1 in the afternoon? Hahaha

p.s. My family hails originally from Jamestown/Williamsburg/Charles City County; then a lot of Richmond. Lots of family resting at Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond so I go there frequently to say hello and check up. I am a Shennandoah Valley girl at heart, though. Love those mountains on either side!

Military time is easy, in fact its "Marine Proof" less that 12. that's the time I.E. 0900 is 9 am.. over 12.... subtract 12 I.E. 1300 = 1 pm. boom.

shennandoah valley is very pretty. I want to go see it in the fall.

Here's a picture from about a week or so into this project.

Attachments

• 20150703_083047.jpg
    20150703_083047.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Update. The water is really clearing up nicely. Now I have an Iron problem. I know it's iron because I tried the vitamin C sock thing. What do you all recommend to get the iron stains out? I'm getting a filter for my hose today. So I only have to battle this once. I'll post some pictures in a bit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.