Robotic Cleaner Experiences

Need to Learn

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 3, 2007
Tracy, CA
Hi All,

Since I can not find robotic pool cleaners in my Consumer Reports magazine I am hoping that I might be able to draw out a few posts on any personal experiences with these devices. I am considering replacing our Polaris 380 with a robotic cleaner. I have two primary factors/assumptions for considering the change; 1) it shoud clean as well or better than the Polaris 380, and 2) it should utilize less electricity in the process.

Any brands/models with good experiences, and any to avoid? I noted recommendations around a remote control in other posts. Other recommendations or considerations when purchasing a robotic cleaner?

Thank you.

The User Control Panel link is just under the TFP logo at the top of the page.

I recommend the remote because I think it allows you to more fully realize the technology you're already paying for. The most common ones I see around are the Aquabot and Dolphin, and manufacturer support is better for the Aquabot.

Is the 380 not getting the pool clean? I have the 280 and it keeps our pool spotless. It only runs for about 1.5 hours a day and I'm amazed at how well it cleans, especially at this time of year when the Live Oak trees are dropping their leaves. :shock:

Only hear say but I have heard many good things about Blue Diamond and when my suction cleaner gives out, I will probably go with that one. Now and then I read posts about problems with Dolphins so I plan on avoiding those.

Do not discount the size of your pool......IMO, it is the key factor in choosing a cleaner.

If you have a small pool, most less expensive cleaners do fine and a bigger, more powerful one is overkill.

Imagine trying to clean a 100,000 gallon pool with a suction side cleaner.....it's not gonna' happen.

So, to oversimplify :-D , suction sides work well in small pools, pressure sides for medium pools, and robots are the best for larger pools.

If your current cleaner is not doing a good job, there is a good chance it is undersized for your pool.

I've had about 4 Aquabots. They all have worked great. The latest one cleans a 38000 SF pool in about 1 hour and has a 4 year warranty. They aren't cheap and plan to spend some money yearly for new belts and brushes and about every 2 years a new motor. The motor is covered under warranty. Of course this depends on how often you use it. Before the extended warranty it was cheaper to trade in than to get a new motor.

Many of my customers have sold both the Aquabot and the Dolphin Diagnostic. Ditto with the Tigershark. All these $1500+ cleaners seem to do the job, but all have one disadvantage...major service is often done at a remote location, the proverbial "New Jersey".

Depending on other feedback, I've had some success stories from the Smartpool Nitro robotic cleaners. They are, admittedly, just a couple of notches above "toy" level, in that they are plastic. However, it does come with a cart, and a power contol converting to 12v, and every part is "dealer serviceable". All parts are easily replaced, reasonably inexpensive, and available.

Most all of my large service companies use Hammerheads.

I have a Dolphin Dynamic and I have been very happy with it. Cleaning the bag is more difficult than I have heard the Blue Diamond described, but it never bothered me. The remote control has been very useful when I am in a hurry and just want to touch up a couple of spots.

The Blue Diamond has the best reviews. Keep in mind that all of the brands have both positive and negative reviews. No matter which robotic cleaner you get there is some chance you will have problems with it.

I have a Dolphin Dynamic. Agree with all the comments. A remote is a must on my next cleaner. The current cleaner gets stuck on the main drains quite often. It also likes one particular path across the deep end. Since I go out and check it so much I could run it on a remote.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mid to end of season last year I purchased a Blue Diamond (remote model). For the first 10 or so uses I was pleased with it. It then started to intermittently stop working. So I called the manufacturer, who incidentally is located in NJ, and they confirmed that it was indeed defective and that I should send it in for repair, AT MY COST. Keep in mind, these are not light machines and return costs would be quite high. So since I bought it at Sams Club which has an unconditional guarantee/return policy, I called them and explained the situation. They again put me in touch with the manufacturer and again, they tried to get me to return it to them at my cost. Why would I do that if it was defective in the first 30 days? So I opted to just return it to Sam's Club for a full refund, which they were happy to process for me (a definite benefit of buying "local" - they paid for the return shipping as well!).

Now I will say that for the short time that it did work, it was nice. Cleaned well and quickly. Unfortunately, this was my first robotic pool cleaner so I have nothing to compare it to. Now this season is quickly approaching and I'm torn between which cleaner to get now. In some ways I feel I just got a bum unit, but I think for a $1500 piece of equipment, the manufacturer should at least in the first 30 days offer to pay return shipping for warranty work. So, I'm struggling with giving them another try, or going with the other well reviewed models like the Aquabots, which do cost a little more.

So anyway, my experience with the Blue Diamond was nice while it worked, but my experience with the manufacturer in the first month left a poor taste in my mouth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.