Question about CYA and Chlorine levels

Welcome!

You may have more than 100 PPM CYA. I would do a test of 1/2 pool water and 1/2 tap water and test and then multiply that number by 2. This means to fill the sample bottle to the 7 ml mark and then carefully pour out half and then add tap water and the proceed with the CYA test as normal. Post a full set of numbers and then we can provide more accurate information. Either way, a drain and refill is in probably in your future, but with an accurate reading, you can know how much to drain.

Donldson, last week I tested my pool's CYA and it was registering below 30. That's all I could guess at due to the test kit I had. I bought stabilizer and followed the directions to raise my CYA by 20ppm and yesterday I was reading 100! I added the stabilizer sometime last week, though I'm not sure exactly what day it was.

- - - Updated - - -

Amail, I did go to that article. It said that those levels were NOT recommended. That's why I asked if it was safe to swim in.

Anyway, thanks for your help everyone.

Oh boy... Maybe a dilution will see if you're past 100.

Measuring is key when doing the TFPC. If you have a helper, make sure you're not working against each other n adding too much of the same thing.

Well NancyAnn, unfortunately .. however it happened ... your CYA went too high. :( Not to worry, it's not the worse thing that could happen. But to answer your original question, "yes" you should do a partial drain to lower the CYA back down a bit. If your water is currently clear and in good shape, maybe drain about 1/4 or so to see if that gets it down to around 75 or so. The sun and heat in our regional area is tough, and your pool is somewhat small (warms-up fast), so the relatively high CYA will provide additional protection to your chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.