Old Polaris 180, dead booster. Replace pump or get a 360 ?

Bubba

Mar 9, 2009
I have an old Polaris 180, it works fine (rebuilt it last year) and I've been very happy with the performance but now the booster pump is dead (motor bearings).

I've recently adopted a more 'energy efficient' approach and I'm thinking about upgrading? to a 360 rather than replacing the booster pump, however, I have no idea if the 360 is comparable in performance to the 180 with a booster? I don't want to compromise much on cleaning power.

I have IntelliFlo pump.

Should I just get a new booster pump/motor or is the Polaris 360 a comparable alternative ?

Is it possible to run the 180 without a booster pump ??

Thanks

It depends on the set up of your plumbing. A picture would be helpful if you get a chance. If you have valves on all your return lines, or a three way valve that splits off to the booster pump before any other returns, you could possibly direct enough pressure to the 180 with the Intelliflo. But the booster-requiring APC's work on high pressure, not high water flow, and by running it off your filter pump you subject all your pressure side components to that increased pressure. The pressure at the end of the hose needs to be 30 PSI for a 180.

The 360 is a better alternative. It only needs 15 PSI to operate. In some cases it might not work as effectively do to the limits of the pump and plumbing, but with the right valve setup and the Intelliflo it should clean as well as the 180 does.

I'm about to replace all the plumbing on the pad so adding valves is easy. Filter damage would be my main concern (Hayward S-244T Sand filter 62GPM).

Currently I have 2 suction lines to pump, pump to filter, filter to Tee for Booster
Main line continues to chlorine tablet feeder and 2 return lines
Booster Tee goes to Booster pump then booster line
All suction and return lines have valves except booster line.

If I close both return valves and crank up the pump that might work without damaging filter ? (Obviously removing pump and adding plumbing direct from booster Tee to booster line)

My other thought was to install a valve to bypass filter etc while Polaris was running. i.e. valve before filter to divert flow straight to the booster line ?

All that said if the 360 works just as well as the 180 I may go that route. Hadn't thought too much about 'the right valve set up'. I was thinking of using the booster line as a regular return line after filter etc and putting the 360 on that.

Thanks

i personally like using the HAYWARD booster pump for the polaris and letro cleaners. less expensive, less noise... easy install... im a big fan of hayward. Also the hayward booster pumps run the polaris and letro cleaners just fine...

i had a customer who use the non booster pump 360 and i must say it did a nice job... they turned off other returns to give the cleaner more power and it moved just fine.

Actually, I feel that the 360 does not perform as well as the 380 with a booster. It really depends a lot on your pool, the number of returns, your pump size, etc. but from my experience booster pump models just perform better.

I'm with Waterbear (and, I used to be a rep for Polaris, years ago). IF you can manipulate your other returns to give the 360 the proper flow, well, OK, but otherwise, the booster pump cleaner tends to work better.

Now, if you have an Intelliflow (4 x 160 or the true variable speed), one advantage is you can program that pump to run the cleaner, too. Why purchase another booster pump if you already have the rpm choices?

The Intelliflow can't produce quite as much pressure as a booster pump, no matter how you set it up. Some of the pressure side cleaners require full pressure and some don't. Take care when selecting a pressure side cleaner to go with an Intelliflow, and be sure it doesn't require full pressure.

JasonLion said:
The Intelliflow can't produce quite as much pressure as a booster pump, no matter how you set it up. Some of the pressure side cleaners require full pressure and some don't. Take care when selecting a pressure side cleaner to go with an Intelliflow, and be sure it doesn't require full pressure.

Thanks for that, Jason. When the VS first came out, and I was chatting with my rep, I suggested using vs. a booster pump. His answer was a cautious one, because, after all, they also sell the Letro and booster pump! I must fully agree with you though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This thread talks more about the differences between using a booster pump vs. the IntelliFlo. A separate booster pump produces up to 50 PSI at a low flow rate (< 25 GPM). At its maximum RPM of 3450, the IntelliFlow at 20 GPM produces 94 feet of head or 41 PSI using 1620 Watts and this would be on a dedicated line. So as Jason says, it is on the edge of providing enough pressure at low flow rates, depending on the type of pressure-side cleaner you use. Basically, a dedicated booster pump is specifically designed with an impeller shape optimized for high-pressure, low-flow.

The IntelliFlow works great at 15 GPM on a dedicated line with The Pool Cleaner that I have and tmoss reported that it works for the Legend II, also at 15 GPM on a dedicated line.

Richard

Thanks for the additional opinions.

I think what I'll do is experiment with return line valves and reducers to see if I can get sufficient pressure for the 180 to work with no booster without blowing the filter.

Filter specs state 62GPM and max 40 psi

Assuming spishex is correct that 180 needs 30psi I will try to get 30 psi with < 60 GPM and see how the 180 does.

If it doesn't work out I'll re-address the booster vs non booster cleaner.

Pool is 18x36 with LOTS OF TREES so I want to be sure the 360 (or other non booster cleaner) is up to the job.

Anyone willing to rent a 360 for a couple of weeks, so I can compare performance ?

Bubba said:
Pool is 18x36 with LOTS OF TREES so I want to be sure the 360 (or other non booster cleaner) is up to the job.
My 2 cents, forget the 360. You won't be happy. Seriously look at a 380 or 480 or a Hayward Viper (NOT a Phantom!) with a booster pump or a robotic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.