1 HP pump timer

Apr 4, 2015
Lincroft
I have a 1HP pump (18.6A) that plugs into an outside GFCI outlet with a standard 3 prong plug. there is no hardwired timer - Is there one i can buy to just put inline (plug-timer-plug)? All the ones I see online and Home Depot are only rated for 15A. This is not an area i want to take a chance . Any suggestions / links to a plug in timer that can handle 20A?

Thanks!
Paul

I have had two 1hp motors that both were rated at less than 15 amps. Did the 18 amp rating come right off the tag on the motor?

if you motor is wired to 240 volts its gonna be half the amperage compared to the same size motor on 120 volt service. since he is on a plug in and not hard wired, the amperage will be higher (double). if the motor has the amperage on the side, then obviously go with that.

Actually looking closer at the tag on the pump it states Max Load AMPS 18.6/9.3. based on DaninFLA's response, this is the amp rating for the 115V vs 230V. So yeah, I'm looking at 18.6.

Since that's the max load (only on start up??) - do you think a 'heavy duty' 15A timer would suffice? (as opposed to a 'christmas light' timer)

the problem with the 20A timer above, is the plug is a 3 prong twist - not a regular plug. I feel like I may be out of luck.

correct, that max load amperage will only occur when the pump starts up. if the timer is rated at 15 amps, doesn't matter if its heavy duty or not, its still 15 amps.

what about cutting the cord and hard wiring a standard mechanical pool timer? are you comfortable with wiring? you may want to see how much it would cost for an electrician to run 220/230v service to your pool pump and put in a timer.

Regarding cutting the cord - would I be able to just put a mechanical timer in-line between the pump and the outlet plug?

Thanks - Paul

I would think so. just need to get the correct voltage. this one is 120v up to 40 amps:
Intermatic T101R 120-Volt SPST 24 Hour Mechanical Time Switch with Outdoor Case - Wall Timer Switches - Amazon.com

that link included a wiring diagram on the second picture. check that out to see if it would work with your wiring, I would think so since your plug has three (i.e. ground)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.