Stuff missing from Pool School

Jul 10, 2015
Central FL
Newbie pool owner here with some observations/questions about Pool School.

First things first. I love Pool School and this forum. Great source of knowledge and experience both easily accessed and given. Thank you!
With that being said, I noticed some things I've learned randomly just searching other topics that I really wished I learned earlier in studying Pool School.

1. The storing of pool chemicals - it's listed what chemicals you may use for proper pool care but nothing on its proper storage. Such as unsealed liquid bleach and muriatic acid containers. Potential killers just sitting together side-by-side unless you were told that's a big no-no. Shouldn't this be a fairly major safety issue covered in Pool School? Like a big bold hard to miss link saying "Stop and read this first!" I would of had both sitting side-by-side in the shed on the ground thinking I was safe. Instead, I would have found a shed full of dangerous gases upon opening the doors. Especially in this intense Florida sun.
2. Muriatic Acid - How to properly and safely add to your pool. Even better would be a video demonstrating this both for above ground and in-ground pools. How about the fact that precise muriatic acid amounts are given in PoolMath but the measurements really shouldn't be followed too precisely. And that it should be dosed with a ballpark guess when pouring instead of pouring into a measuring vessel and then into the pool.

I thing these things and probably more have become a "common knowledge" issue when they really aren't common knowledge to a pool newbie.
I'm sure that there are more I'll notice as I spend more time reading posts.
Or did I just completely miss these as a "read first" topic somewhere?

Thanks,
Gene

While I agree with you in principle. Here is my take.

ANY pool chems should not be stored in a shed in the yard. As with most chems, they should be kept tightly closed and in a cool controlled environment. That's why they are usually called tool sheds I guess.

Not all people are as concerned with the handling of MA. Not saying it's not to be respected, but some folks go WAY overboard. With Class 4 hazmat suits and respirators and the like. I personally find no issues with pouring into a plastic measuring cup, carrying it 50 feet from the garage, down to the pool and then pouring it in, in front of one of the returns. The few times that I have encountered fumes, I did not find them all the bad.

But then again, I'm not the norm here and my thoughts, as expressed, are my own.

I too have no problems measuring the dose of MA into a large hospital drinking mug that's marked out in ounces and mLs. You only have to inhale those fumes once to figure out how to stay upwind of it.

I agree that the advice on the storage of MA is needed.

It's valuable information and I agree that it should be listed somewhere. I stored chlorine in my tool shed for years and couldn't figure out why all my lawn tools rusted prematurely.

Yes, there are warnings on the labels and storage information can be found online but it's the point of pool school to put all this great information in one place?

Actually, bleach should not have caused your tools to rust. Muriatic acid out gassing is usually what causes things to rust. Not to be contrary, but I think that the point of Pool School is to advise how to take care of your pool and manage your water chemistry. It isn't chemical school. :)

1. The storing of pool chemicals - it's listed what chemicals you may use for proper pool care but nothing on its proper storage. Such as unsealed liquid bleach and muriatic acid containers. Potential killers just sitting together side-by-side unless you were told that's a big no-no. Shouldn't this be a fairly major safety issue covered in Pool School? Like a big bold hard to miss link saying "Stop and read this first!" I would of had both sitting side-by-side in the shed on the ground thinking I was safe. Instead, I would have found a shed full of dangerous gases upon opening the doors. Especially in this intense Florida sun.

https://www.taylortechnologies.com/ChemistryTopicsCM.ASP?ContentID=26
http://taylortechnologies.com/product_fliers/Tech_Bulletin_ReagentShelfLife_web.pdf

2. Muriatic Acid - How to properly and safely add to your pool. Even better would be a video demonstrating this both for above ground and in-ground pools. How about the fact that precise muriatic acid amounts are given in PoolMath but the measurements really shouldn't be followed too precisely. And that it should be dosed with a ballpark guess when pouring instead of pouring into a measuring vessel and then into the pool.

How to add muriatic acid to pools safely and without fumes. - YouTube

However, I don't do this, I measure the MA, yet pour close to the water. YMMV

MA is like a soft drink and will out-gass, wherever it is [opened or not].... and it will rust or corrode everything. I keep mine in the shade in a protected location, but outside in the free air.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.