Need to add water to pool (Tested Well Water and House Water)

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
I will need to bring the water about 1/2 way on the skimmers probably in a few days, given the weather will be hot in NJ this week.

I tested the well water:

Well # 1.jpg

Well - TA.jpg

Well - Calcium.jpg

The PH was a wierd color (seemed very low). The TA and CH colors did not match at all. Then after 2 drops in each, the color change reflected the TF-100 test kit. It appears that TA is around 20 and CH is around 50.

HOUSE WATER:

House.jpg

The PH range is between 7.5-7.8, while TA is 70 and CH is 100.

Question: I need to fill up and am assuming that I should use city water and not well water. I have used well water in the fast (few times). The initial fill was from the city (NJ American Water Company).

If you can fill with city water that would be better. Well water tends to add metals which requires additional treatments. Just start filling-up your pool. Once the water line hits the middle of your skimmer to where you can circulate water, get a sock with the right amount of stabilizer by your return jet to start increasing your CYA to an initial target of 30. Keep your FC level at about 2-3 initially, then after a few days when your CYA starts to record close to 30, increase and keep your FC level at its target based on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. The OTO (last pic) is fine for quick checks, but will not be suitable for many FC or CC-specific tests you need, so it's best to rely on the powder and drops (R-0870 & R-0871) for those. Also make sure PH remains between 7.2-7.8.
Use these links to help you and you can't go wrong:
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Poolmath calculator
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Texas Splash:

Sorry, I should have posted my results. I use the TF-100 Test Kit and have never looked back.

Here are my latest results:

FC 4-7 Based on my CYA of 50. Levels drop to around 4 through the overnight and increased to around 7 early morning. Each week adjust or skip if high on FC. Lately, I have been testing in the middle of the week as well and make chlorine adjustments, every 3-4 days.
CC 0
TA 100
CH 175

The basic test kit is for daily use, while the extended test kit is for the weekly testing to make sure my levels are where they need to be. I have learned a lot from the TFP community. Never had any issues with Algae or anything else. Brush weekly. Vacuum weekly. Water is crystal clear.

Forgot to post OCLT results : Passed all 3 tests and overnight loss is less then 1 ppm

Last edited:
Wonderful! TF-100 :goodjob: Those numbers look quite good actually. Just make sure that FC stays at or slightly over its target at all times. Based on those results, that would explain the crystal clear water. :) Did you still have a specific question we can help you with?

Wonderful! TF-100 :goodjob: Those numbers look quite good actually. Just make sure that FC stays at or slightly over its target at all times. Based on those results, that would explain the crystal clear water. :) Did you still have a specific question we can help you with?

My question was answered in the thread. I will use the city water and not well water.

I actually keep my levels around the minimum , so the FC level usually drops around the minimum during the night. I am dosing the pool in the early morning. This way the sun has gone down and not coming around until after I dose the pool again.

Even tested before and after with the extended kit on days where there is a lot of activity, etc. I have an idea on how much more I need to add during the day to protect the FC levels from dropping below the minimums. This week will be interesting as the weather will be hot.

As always, thank you for your continued support.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.