Is this skimmer part necessary?

Maestro

Silver Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Cape May Court House, NJ
My PB told me to remove this part (the white disk in the photo) from my skimmer and store it in my shed because I don't need it. What is it and what is its function? It sits in the skimmer above the basket, so I would have to remove it every time I empty the basket. There's a spring-loaded screw valve on top that says "fast" and "slow". Any advice?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 120
You sure it is not supposed to be below the basket and allow you to force suction from the floor if your drain is plumbed to the skimmer? Maybe a different design for a float diverter.

It looks like a skimmer equalizer valve. It is supposed to sit below the skimmer basket and block flow from the skimmer if the water gets too low or the skimmer basket is packed full of debris. The only way this would not be useful is if you do not have a main drain plumbed with a line to the skimmer.

The skimmer manufacturer is Waterco. I checked their website and from their not-easy-to–read drawings it seems to be a "vacuum plate" to be used only when vacuuming and removed otherwise. The skimmer is so deep that if that's not in place I have to reach in with my arm well past my elbow to hook up a vacuum hose. I'll call the company today and see if I can get more info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.