Left the backwash valve on a few seconds too long pump won't start.

Sep 8, 2014
Los Angeles CA
I was messing with the backwash push pull valve and I mistakenly left the pump on for a few seconds when it was set to backwash. The pump pushed the water out the backwash for a little bit and then it stopped. I hoped a few seconds wouldn't be a big deal but it won't turn on anymore. No sounds squat nothing seems to happen when I flip the switch on the timer. No signs of any burning smell or humming, nothing.

The timer box doesn't seem to be getting any sort of power. THe gears inside aren't turning. No lights come on when I flip the switch. I checked the circuit breaker that is supposedly for the pool. Seems to be in the on position.

Pump is hayward energyflo RS .99HP

timer is one of those old fashion dial t101 things.

Either its not getting power from the timer box or its broken. How can I figure out or solve which?

Thanks

Did you backwash so long that you started sucking air and caused the pump to lose prime? You could have overheated things. A thermal limiter could have tripped. After it cools down it should reset.

If the timer clock isn't turning, then you lost power to it or the motor fried. You should be able to manually flip the switch on. The red lever is on-off
mickey4paws-IntermaticTimer.jpg

That standard on-off switch beneath the timer box -- is that what you used to turn the pump on and off? Switches die, too.

Out of ideas now

I flipped both the switch underneath the box in the picture and a metal prong that correspond to the red switch in your picture. The pump was literally just running for a few seconds in backwash. I suppose long enough to empty out the filter but I assumed that additional water should come in from the pool. I got to it like one or two seconds after it stopped but not soon enough I guess. What confuses me is that the manner it which it stopped suggests the pump but the timer not working suggests the timer or some electrical fault.

I am sure you checked your main electric panel to make sure you didn't trip a breaker, even if no GCFI

Is it expected that the motor could be wrecked simply by a few seconds of air?

I looked over and over to see a tripped switch on the main breaker and didn't see anything. The panel is sort of hard to spot things on though. If it aint the circuit breaker I don't see any other option then to call someone in...unfortunately.

Pumps are centrifugal...they aren't going to burn up in that amount of time sucking air. My guess is your main breaker feeding the pool sub panel has tripped. If you aren't comfortable, do you have a neighbor with a Volt Meter that can check things for you to find where you've lost power?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well depending on how they tapped into the electrical, look at your outside gfi receptical or the kitchen and bath. Sometimes people tap into strange lines. Before I called someone in i would buy a tester that you can put against the line to see if you have power going into the timer.

Well depending on how they tapped into the electrical, look at your outside gfi receptical or the kitchen and bath. Sometimes people tap into strange lines. Before I called someone in i would buy a tester that you can put against the line to see if you have power going into the timer.

Yeah, looks like you might be right. There is indeed an outlet some ways away that has a popped GCFI button. Don't know precisely why other than water going into the ground during the backwash but we're going to try to figure it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.