Shock and algae

Jun 20, 2015
Pikeville KY
If everyone can remember, I was the one that couldn't get ride of the algae until I added copper to the pool then it came back. So I drained the pool and cleaned the liner with liquid chlorine and refilled the pool. The pool did good until today when I added 2 scoops of Pool Life Shock to the pool. I returned later in the day and my wife said "its back". And yes the sand color was in the corners of the pool and areas where it was before. Everything was good until I added the shock.

Is there anyway this is a residue from the shock collecting on the bottom of the pool?

If i can remember last time when this happemed I shocked it and it started from there. I slammed the pool for 2 weeks at 26 PPM and it didn't help.

PH 7.2
TA 120
hardness 150
FC .5
CYA is 0

Due to CYA not even existent in the pool is this causing in the reside problem from the shock. Or is the algae back again. I can get the chlorine levels up.

Im testing with TF-100 and a speed stirrer.

Why is your CYA 0? You'll never be able to maintain FC.

Did you raise it to 30ppm before you started your last SLAM? Were you able to meet all three criteria to complete the last SLAM?

With no CYA in the pool your FC is most likely bottoming out before you can bring it back up, allowing an algae bloom once again.

What are you using for "shock"? How have you been chlorinating daily?

Follow the SLAM procedure exactly as instructed. Ask questions on anything you are not sure of.

A proper SLAM followed by proper water balance will guarantee that you'll beat that green monster.

Dom

Why is your CYA 0? You'll never be able to maintain FC.

Did you raise it to 30ppm before you started your last SLAM? Were you able to meet all three criteria to complete the last SLAM?

With no CYA in the pool your FC is most likely bottoming out before you can bring it back up, allowing an algae bloom once again.

What are you using for "shock"? How have you been chlorinating daily?

Follow the SLAM procedure exactly as instructed. Ask questions on anything you are not sure of.

A proper SLAM followed by proper water balance will guarantee that you'll beat that green monster.

Dom

I slamed before and yes all 3 criteria was met but algae wouldn't die. So I drained the pool. Scrubbed it and the liner with liquid chlorine and refilled last week. The pool was finally refilled Friday. The CYA is 0 and FC will not maintain. So algae is coming back. Everything was good until i threw 2 scoops of shock in yesterday to try and bring it up or try to, I'm using pool life shock. then he algae is back within 2 hours at the latest. Or is this algae? Could his be residue from the shock where the cya is 0 and it is leaving something behind. We tried everything possible before, with the help of chem geek, and We just decided to drain clean and refill. . Why is the cya non existent and what can I do?

i filled with city water for 20,000 gallons to make sure it was clean water.

Check the bag of pool life shock. What are the ingredients?

Cya is not in water until you put it there. You can buy it and add it yourself. It stands for cyanuric acid and is usually labeled as pool stabilizer or pool conditioner.

First find out the ingredients of the shock you use as some powders have cyanuric acid in them.

You need it to protect your chlorine but you don't want too much.

Don't forget that the pool needs chlorine added daily. You should be using liquid chlorine /bleach for your chlorine additions because powders and tablets will add unwanted ingredients that build up over time and can cause problems eventually.

Also it's kinda weird. It feels like there a high amout of chlorine in the pool because you can taste it and it will burn your eyes but there's not. Maybe .5 at the most.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a clorineator for the pool and I have it on high with 10 tablets in it.

Your new water is cloudy and will never hold FC (free chlorine) because you have no stabilizer (CYA) in the water to protect it. They go together like peanut butter & jelly. But they MUST be balanced properly according to the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. In addition, you should read and be familiar with these pages:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Poolmath calculator
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

The in-line chlorinator might be convenient when on vacation or away for a while, but will not satisfy daily TFP pool care, and will actually cause more harm than good on your water chemistry. You need to focus on using primarily regular liquid bleach as your daily sanitizer and remove those tablets/pucks. Add granular stabilizer (from Wal-Mart or home improvement store) with a Target CYA of 30, and keep your bleach at a SLAM FC of 10 so you can Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain the algae away. Those pool store bags of shock and stuff are typically not compatible with TFPC methods.

Chlorine (liquid bleach) administered at the proper level consistently will kill and/or prevent algae from establishing itself in the pool. You have the best test kit available, so make sure your PH is at about 7.2, get a sock filled with the right amount of stabilizer in the water right away to increase CYA to 30, and SLAM at an FC of 10 until your pass all 3 criteria. This simple process will work for you.

I'd turn off the chlorinator until your numbers are in balance and your SLAM is complete. Your FC is way too low and you'll need to increase your CYA or your FC will not hold and you'll have to tend to the pool every hour. So you need granular stabilizer. You also need liquid chlorine or extra strength bleach to bring the FC up to SLAM level rapidly. The chlorine in the pucks is meant to be slow release and doesn't react in time. Finally, brush the walls and vacuum the pool. The less organics you know are not in the pool the faster your SLAM will go.

.........Chlorine (liquid bleach) administered at the proper level consistently will kill and/or prevent algae from establishing itself in the pool. You have the best test kit available, so make sure your PH is at about 7.2, get a sock filled with the right amount of stabilizer in the water right away to increase CYA to 30, and SLAM at an FC of 10 until your pass all 3 criteria. This simple process will work for you.
Amen.

Just to add, after you complete a proper SLAM, never, never, never, never, never, never, let the FC fall to the minimum level for your CYA. Stay at target or a couple of ppm above.

I have a CYA level of 40ppm and strive to stay above 6.0ppm everyday. When I get home from work I test FC and it is usually between 6-8ppm depending on weather and bather load. After dinner, when the sun is lower in the sky, I add enough chlorine to target 11ppm to not only cover the anticipated drop, but to have elevated levels when the sun is off the pool to give the chlorine an advantage. If we swim late I'll bump it 1-2 more ppm before bed.

After a while of daily testing you get an idea of your pool's appetite. I can guess what my FC reading will be w/in +/- 1ppm because I have been doing this all summer on a regular schedule.

Dom

The burning eyes, etc. makes sense with no stabilizer in the pool. That seemingly low 0.5 FC level means the level of active chlorine is actually much higher than it would be in a pool with 30 ppm CYA and measured FC of say 4. None of your chlorine is being held in reserve by stabilizer.

Yup, your 0.5 ppm FC with no CYA is more than 8 times higher than our minimum FC/CYA level (ratio of 7.5%) which is equivalent to around 0.06 ppm FC with no CYA. Your roughly at SLAM level equivalent which is 0.6 ppm FC with no CYA (FC/CYA ratio of 40%).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.