Still looking for answers

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
Okay. So the scum continues. literally. We use bromine. We replaced ALL three filters, put in fresh water and we still have scum and foam on this new hot tub. we've changed the water out at least 5 times now since October. We dump fresh and clear in every night. We check the levels all the time. The bromine can be fine one day and gone the next. it's like a rollercoaster of scum....

We can not use the tub for a week and it will have scum....sigh. Anything else to try? we've done spa perfect too. I wrote an email to the spa company -- surprise, surprise. no answer. we have scum balls in there. I think we've tried bleach....idk! but it is a serious pain!

From my understanding, spas are wet tested at the factory. In most cases, all of the water is not completely removed from the piping, etc. This standing water can grow nasty things that are considered biofilm. I heard that it is in your best interest to decontaminate the spa right from the start with Ahh-Some. If you do not eliminate these nasties, they will continue to grow and be a hindrance as well as a health issue. They will eat up your sanitizer like crazy and you will have a hard time keeping a proper sanitizer level. Do not touch this crud with your hands.

I have heard that spa cleaners are not as effective as using Ahh-Some. If you do a search for decontamination or Ahh-some on this and poolandspaforum, I believe you will find considerable information on this topic, as did I.

I'm not familiar with bromine tubs. Have you seen this guide?
How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?

I have used chlorine in my tub for 18 months and am very happy with it, following this,
How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

I have not used ahh-some and I've only drained twice because it seemed like I should. One time to see if the tub water would heat my pool any. No, is the answer to that! :) But, many people talk about how great aah-some is. Maybe give it a try.

Lyd is correct. If you've never used Ahh-Some you're in for a big surprise, even from a brand new spa. Biofilms fairly rapidly develop in spas due to the high bather-load and warm to hot water temperatures. Even new spas have greases in them as well as frequently having biofilms from wet testing.

By reading the Instructions for Use on the ahhsome.com website you will see that you add the product to the spa, run it, and take the filters out and put them in the main area of the spa. So the filters get cleaned via the Ahh-Some but they do not need to be replaced. They are powerful surfactants, but are not harsh oxidizers or acids or other chemicals that would harm filters or other spa components. Think of them as very powerful soaps that remove grease, break up biofilm, and help remove anything stuck to spa surfaces (including pipes) or filters. You then dump the water and wipe the spa surface at the waterline to remove what comes out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.