Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: help

1. Back To Top    #1

help

I put too much muriatic acid and now ph is low so is alkalinity. Can I just wait it out or should I raise the ph and alkalinity. I've a SWG. Thanks.
    Aqualogic/Aqua Pod SWG, Peble Tech, 15k gal pool & spa, Hayward pump/heat/filter, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: help

well its not a good idea to leave the pool too long with low ph and alkalinity. When did you add the acid? had is been atleast 12-24 hrs? Ive noticed with SWG'S the ph and alkalinity usually run high.. it may come up on its own but i dont know how long that will take, or even come up enough to be in "ok" ranges.. depending on your pool size and the levels they are at now, i would test the water figure out how much baking soda to add, and only add 3/4 of it... let filter run and recheck in 12 hours or so. If levels are still low add the remaining 1/4 of what was called for..
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

If you lowered the PH below 7.0, you should raise the PH to at least 7.0 right away. If the PH is currently 7.2 or higher, then leave it alone and it should come up on it's own. In between 7.0 and 7.2 could go either way, do something now or just wait.

You may also need to raise the TA level, but there is no particular rush on that. The TA level will come up a little as the PH comes up, but only a little.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I also shocked the pool and now my CL is 6ppm should I just wait for it to dessipate? Thanks for your quick response. PH is 7.0 and TA is 25ppm.
    Aqualogic/Aqua Pod SWG, Peble Tech, 15k gal pool & spa, Hayward pump/heat/filter, Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5

TA at 25 is definitely too low. You want to bring that up to between 60 and 80. That will also raise the PH a little.

It would help if you could put the basic specs of your pool into your signature (size, kind of surface, etc) and it would also be good to post a complete set of water test results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Sure!
    TC 6.0 FC 6.0 pH 7.0 TA 25 CaHardness 300 Stabilizer 25 Salt 3200 courtesy of Pinch a Penny.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum!

Ph of 7.0 is no big deal but the TA of 25 indicates they tested your sample with test strips.....which may or may not be valid.

I would suggest another sample at another store to confirm their results if you have no way of testing it yourself.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for posting the additional information!

You should to think about getting a really good test kit. A top quality test kit will give you more accurate results than most pool stores and save you money on chemicals in the long run. I suggest a kit from TF Test Kits, see the link in my signature. The Taylor K-2006 is also a good kit.

Because you have pebbletec, you should raise your TA level to at least 70 fairly soon. The combination of low PH and low TA could cause damage to the plaster between the pebbles over several days. It would also help the SWG significantly if your raise your CYA level to between 70 and 80. Because there is some possibility that the pool store results are not precise you might want to put off the full increase in CYA level. CYA is easy to raise but difficult to lower, so you don't want to add too much.

9. Back To Top    #9

I've confirmed the numbers with a Taylor test kit. For now I added 10 lbs of arm and hammer baking as per your calculator suggest.

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, after 10 lbs of NaHCO3 TA is now 70 and pH is 7.2. I'll add another 6lb tomorrow. What do you guys think?

11. Back To Top    #11

The recommended TA level for a SWG is 60 to 80. 70 sounds perfect.

....and welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Wow, I'd die for for a TA of 70

but I guess life is not fair . . .
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    The recommended TA level for a SWG is 60 to 80. 70 sounds perfect.

....and welcome to TFP!

thats new news to me... learn something new everday
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]