New Pool Build in Spring, TX

Here is a link for you. Please know what the PB says tops all as he is the one holding the warranty card so......

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

You will LOVE this link! It does all of the work for you!

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Oh and the MOST important link of all---------the whys and hows of TFP!

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

There is a lot of info. Take a bite at a time and go back for more when you are ready. Feel free to ask any and all questions you have even if it is just checking to make sure you are doing something right!

Kim

Heh heh. I'm ready.

toolstrade_zps4uegalya.jpg

First test results. Mind you the PB is still doing startup.

FC 6.0
CC 0.0
PH 7.2
CH 350
TA 120
CYA 20

- - - Updated - - -

I had done a test of the fill water earlier and got PH > 8.2, CH 75 (but I don't think I did that test correctly), TA 330.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can't comment on the numbers, ( not quite there yet) but was it FUN?? I like the lab portion of the chemistry class I took for nursing school. I think I'll like doing the testing.

I don't know about fun, but it IS interesting. The hardest part for me is trying to notice the color changes on the CH and TA tests.

And in case you haven't already found it, search the forums for Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log. It's a spreadsheet and Jesse has done quite a job with it. It looks intimidating (and I'm in IT - haha) at first, but I think it will be my pool testing log for the future.

I have to say I am happy with those numbers! WOW! If you look at the link above about recommended levels you will see that most of them are in the "happy" range. TA is a little high BUT it is the last one we worry about.

Keep an eye on the PH and CH. Those are the two that new plaster love to mess with.

Kim

I just have a small note pad I keep my levels on.

The color change for the TA will "flash". It does not count until is STAYS changed.

I have not test my CH so do not know about how it does. I guess I should do it just so I know how it works LOL.

For the PH test I use a white plastic plate behind the tube and put the plate back and forth until I can see the color match.

Kim

Keep an eye on the PH and CH. Those are the two that new plaster love to mess with.

Right. pH is easy to test daily so that won't be a problem. I guess CH, CYA and TA don't change all that rapidly so testing them once a week or so (unless I'm trying to bring TA down) should be fine, right?

Not sure if the PB intended to bring the pH low as part of startup or that's just where it ended up. Again, goes to my complaint of him not telling me what he's doing and why.

You are set to go.
Your numbers look surprisingly healthy for a pool under PB startup.
Most of them don't add any Stabilizer other than that imparted by the pucks.
This looks like he may have added a little.

Your CH test of fill water is a dud, I would do it again.
It will be very close to (maybe a little below) the pool water.
Once he hands it over to you test again and we'll help you get it tuned up.

I use Jessie's log too, added a little to it for tracking expense but it is a great resource.
As I test out by the pool, I record my results in a android app called Pool Pal.
It has a TFP friendly setup.

You are set to go.
Your numbers look surprisingly healthy for a pool under PB startup.
Most of them don't add any Stabilizer other than that imparted by the pucks.
This looks like he may have added a little.

Thanks. I don't know exactly what he added. Looks like we still need to get TA down (according to MMG's site). And I think he does pretty good work. My biggest complaint is communication.

Your CH test of fill water is a dud, I would do it again.
It will be very close to (maybe a little below) the pool water.
Once he hands it over to you test again and we'll help you get it tuned up.
When I pull out the test kit tomorrow, I'll run the fill water test again. Three drops and it turned blue, so I stopped. When I tested the pool water today, it took 12 or 13 drops to turn blue. I added the 14th drop to make sure the color didn't change.

I use Jessie's log too, added a little to it for tracking expense but it is a great resource.
As I test out by the pool, I record my results in a android app called Pool Pal.
It has a TFP friendly setup.
I'll take a look at Pool Pal. It was on my radar when we started the build, but just forgot about it. Except for CYA, I do my testing in doors so launching the spreadsheet shouldn't be a big deal. Now maybe after several days of testing CL and PH daily, I might change my mind. Haha.

Quick update. Woohoo! I have a sprinkler system again. Gotta get the leak in the auto-fill line under the deck fixed then we lay new sod.

Pool is still running great. TA is down to 90. No CC. PB put a gallon of MA in Thursday evening. Friday the pH was <= 6.8. It's now 7.2. Actually it was 7.2 yesterday evening. We run the scuppers a couple of hours a day and waterfall from the spa several hours a day. At least the pH doesn't appear to be rocketing higher.

Water looks pretty clear but I don't really have anything to compare it to.

So far so good.

And I got a chance to evangelize the neighbor 2 houses down. He plans to manage his pool, too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.