Spa Mysteriously Draining itself

Jul 25, 2015
canton, tx
I have a combination pool/spa that runs off the same pool pump. When the pump in running, water is continually pumped to the spa and delivered thru the spa's fountain and then the water is returned to the pool via an overflow opening in the spa. Earlier this week, I came home from work and noticed the spa's water level was at approximately 50% capacity. I immediately turned the pool pump on and the spa filled and then overflowed back into the pool as usual. The next day, the same thing happened... and the next day and the next day.

Does anyone know what could be causing/allowing the spa to drain back into the pool like this? I've checked all the equipment valves and they all appear to be set in the same position as always.

Thanks
Gerald

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Is the spa above the pool? Did the spa water level drain down to the pool water level?
If the answer to both is yes, then you might have a leaking check valve on the spa supply pipe letting the water drain. Or one of the 3-ways may be leaking.

I have a similar spa/pool setup with the spa above the pool. For the water intake to the pump, I have a valve that controls the spa floor drain. For the water return, I have valves that control the spa return jets and a fountain. My spa return jets pipe does not have a check valve on it, but the fountain pipe does have a check valve.

So for me to keep the water in the spa with the pump off, I have to make sure the spa floor drain and return jets are turned off and the fountain valve is turned on. I'm not sure why the pool designer did not put a check valve on the spa jets line, but whatever.

Ron

You can't always "look" and see if your check valves are failing. You might have to take off the lids and check that the flappers are still pliable and making a correct seal, the springs are still "springy", and most obviously, make sure that there's no junk keeping the flapper from sealing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.