buttresses sinking, bottom rail lifting, please help...

Jul 26, 2015
bend oregon
Ok, I need some advice on fixing my buttress problems. I have a 15 x 30 steel sided pool, which was given to me (you can have it if you come get it). I figured that since I was taking it apart, then I could put it together the way it was and not have any problems. unfortunately, I keep discovering things that were done incorrectly when it was set up the first time, like no patio blocks anywhere.

I was smart enough to put blocks under the plates the track slides into and that the verticals sit on, but not smart enough to realize that I also needed them under the buttresses. So they are settling on one side of the pool, causing the rail to lift, sand to move and the start of a sinkhole in the liner.

My question is, do I need to drain the pool and lift the buttress so I can put patio blocks under them, or is it safe to go redneck with a vehicle and foundation jack on the vertical to push it back (take the weight off the foot) so I can lift the end and install the patio block Or can I just take the buttress apart, put the block in and put the buttress together?

The I know that the first option will work, and it occurred to me that since assembling the buttresses happens after the pool was filled (according to the directions), maybe I could take one apart at a time and fix the problem without draining and refilling.

Any thoughts?

Let me explain something really quickly for you. You cannot red neck a pool fix. Especially a full pool that needs more support, that's sinking on one side n oval at that. What you need to do is take the pool completely down and start over, unless you'd like to destroy the pool and any property in it's vicinity.

There is probably 13,000 gallons of water in that pool at 8.3 pounds per gallon, or about 54 TONS (108,000lbs) of water.

Fix it correctly before someone gets seriously hurt.

Dom

Thank you Kin, Dom, and Casey.

I was not seriously considering using a vehicle to try to fix my pool, and I didn't mean to terrify anybody. This pool and set up have turned into a white elephant and I'm almost ready to rent a backhoe to take it down and bury it where it falls. So, I am frustrated, and trying to maintain a sense of humor about the thing, and want to fix the problems correctly so I can be done with it.

What I should have said is: the feet (very end of the diagonal brace) on three of the four buttresses on one side of my pool are settling into the compacted gravel and rock dust they are sitting on; the worst by about 1" - 1.5". Is there any way I can deal with this problem that does not involve draining the pool completely? I am interested in hearing other ideas, because if they don't work or don't make sense I can always empty it. Might draining it by 1/2 allow me to deal with it?

I was not seriously considering using a vehicle to try to fix my pool, and I didn't mean to terrify anybody.

smoregon - i have no idea buttress is or how to help you, but this made me LOL. My bf agreed on the pool as long as I promised him he could take a jeep through it once it's useful life has ended. That was a finger crossed agreement.

I get you on the white elephant part, I got a new intex off of craigslist for a good price and it has been a headache and a lot more expensive process then the people having fun on the box would lead you to believe. I'll be draining my pool next week probably to move to a more level place and put blocks under the legs, so if you end up going that route I will be right alongside of you.

Pictures would be great. It could help us, help you come up,on a plan. And you wouldn't believe what some people try n do or think,they can do to a full pool. My guess is, that you are not level or on the verge of being off level. My suggestion still stands though... I'd seriously consider starting over. If you start digging under the butresses, they can keep sinking from the weight of the water. The oval pool has so much more pressure on those straight walls, it's unreal.

Please post pics so we can discuss this. The more the better. Include all of your problem areas.

You can use photobucket or another free hosting site to host your pictures and post the links on TFP.

How did you prepare the ground for the pool. I've heard you mention compacted gravel and blocks. A more detailed account of the site prep would be helpful for us to help you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you click on the link, you see this...
Postimage.org / gallery - P1020803a, P1020806a, P1020807a

Now click on the codes under the pics n you'll see this...
Image codes: P1020803a

Click on And highlight the link in Hot links for forum (1) n paste it here:

I use postimage myself. Its pretty simple.

- - - Updated - - -

You're going to need to reset the pool. At the very least, the butresses as long as nothing has moved a lot. That ground, when wet, is soft and the buttresses are doing their job by digging in and keeping the wall straight. That's why it's sinking. You now now you need the blocks under them.

I don't really see a paver under that upright either. Not saying it's not there, just don't see it.

There is a paver under the upright. And it isn't a question of rain making the ground soft, as we haven't had a drop since the pool was filled on July 3rd. So, is there any way anyone can think of to get a block under the buttress without draining the pool completely? I am not going to try to do it as it is now (without any additional bracing).

Is this a used pool you reassembled without instructions? The buttresses are the most important part of an oval pool, the back end (farthest from the pool wall) must be set upon buried block not pavers and that set with cement. Your pool probably won't be standing much longer without the support of the buttresses, I am so sorry to have to agree with the others who say take it down and start over - what a job :(

That support is sinking into the ground, whether it's dry or wet from rain or splashing. You also said it was sinking. Now to fix it n mix it right... What are you willing to do?

Absolutely right Casey. Doesn't matter much why. I really believe that if I can get a 12" x 12" patio block centered under the end of of the diagonal buttress where it is sinking it will fix the problem: and if I had one there in the first place we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I think that Kim is right, and I will probably have to just keep removing water until I can get that end up. I think I will need to get the water level close to where the diagonal ties into the vertical (and possibly below) to be able to move the end out/off of the ground. This was my original plan, I just was interested in seeing if there was another way to go about things.

This is also why I asked about taking the diagonal off where it meets the vertical. If there was a solid way to brace it, I might be able to get away with it. I wouldn't want to try it if I had no way to get some solid bracing in, so that when I removed the diagonal I didn't blow out the scalloped shape (and the side out of the bottom rail). However If I have to drain the thing to the bottom anyway I may as well try something else first (not necessarily what I suggested) and if it doesn't work I drain the pool and haven't really lost anything, and might save time and some $$ I would otherwise pay the water hauler.

Good luck. All that water is heavy. Let us know how you do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.