Water balanced but still cloudy...dead algae particles?

Jun 14, 2014
Aberdeen,MD
Pool started showing a little sign of some algae bloom a few days ago. I shocked the pool and was able to get the water balanced.

Results:
FC: 9.0
CC: 0
PH: 7.6
AK: 80
CH: 160
CYA: 40

So, I want to verify that the cloudiness is simply the dead algae from shocking the pool?

I did not do an OCLT last night unfortunately. The FC was 1.0ppm last night, and I added 1 gallon of bleach. Tested this morning and FC was 9.0. I will make sure to do an OCLT tonight.

Do you recommend adding enough bleach to bring it up to 16 for the day? Or wait until I perform the OCLT?

I did not do an OCLT last night unfortunately. The FC was 1.0ppm last night, and I added 1 gallon of bleach. Tested this morning and FC was 9.0. I will make sure to do an OCLT tonight.

Do you recommend adding enough bleach to bring it up to 16 for the day? Or wait until I perform the OCLT?
As it says in the SLAM instructions:

You are done when:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.​
You can't let it drift down to normal unless you've been maintaining it at higher levels. A one-time megadose of bleach might be considered "shocking" to the pool store, but remember, they advocate a weekly shock - an admission that they expect your pool to grow algae. We push Shock Level And Maintain. Kill it all once and be done with it. In over five years I've never had to shock my pool nor have I ever had the water turn green.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.