Test Kits Reading Differently

I haven't splurged yet and bought a good kit, that is coming. I refilled our pool last week. I bought a cheap test strip kit that would read CYA and FC. To date, the test strips have read nothing more than a 2/4 no mater how much sanitizer I have added (8% Chlorox). I have also added the stabilizer at start up and I understand that it takes about a week to fully disolve, so I have been patient. We have temps of 100 daily and I know it is burning off quickly. I added 6 Cups of Chlorine yesterday late afternoon, even though poolmath told me that about 2 cups would get me up around a 4 or more. I expected to get a decent reading this morning. FC 0. My pH is 7.5, CYA 30-50, TA 80. Just to see, I decided to test using the reagents and my total chlorine is reading at least 5. The water hasn't been in the pool long enough for a build up of total chlorine and no FC. Are these test strips worthless? Is the reagent kit just not enough info? Am I just going to be flying blind until I order the good kit? Thanks!

Yes----test strips are worthless. it oesn't take cya that long to dissolve-just up to a week to accurately measure on a good test kit. Add it in and treat the pool like it's there with FC levels. Welcome.

Welcome to TFP!

Toss em! Dip your finger or toe in the pool, hold it up to the wind and say the first number that pops into your head and you'll probably be closer.

We had someone with brand new plaster recently who was about to add a whole bunch of borax to raise his PH based on test strips. We held off, got a good test kit and the PH was almost perfect. That would have been very bad for his pool if he had done that.

Test strips can bleach out of the chlorine level is high which will give you false readings. So can the DPD drop test. Only the FAS-DPD tester can give you accurate readings at high FC levels. The OTO test won't bleach out, but the shades aren't distinct enough to use it with any accuracy.

And welcome :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.